How do I share an xfinity WiFi hotspot? at home

EC3

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
How can I share my xfinity wifi hotspot connection with other computers and devices (Roku..PS3...) at home?

I don't have internet access where I am staying but can connect to my Xfinity Internet account through an xfinity wifi hotspot nearby.

The signal isn't strong by itself but using a Netis WF2116 USB adapter I can get a 70-100 signal through my computer. I can't get a strong enough signal to connect the Roku through the xfinitywifi WiFi alone. It does connect but drops out and can not retrieve the video.

Since the WF2116 receives a strong signal is there a way to use the xfinitywifi signal from my computer connection and use that to connect other wifi devices?

The software for the WF2116 has an AP mode but I have not figured out how to get it working.

I also have another USB WiFi dongle...Tenda W322U that has AP mode. Again, no luck getting this to work.

Is it even possible to share a WiFi Hotspot like the xfinitywifi?

I have a laptop and tower both running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Solution
You can set your adapter to only one function at a time, so you need to set one adapter to connect to Xfinity, and the other as an AP.

You need to get directions for setting up AP, it's explained pretty well here for the Netis: http://www.netis-systems.com/en/FAQ/1908.html

Google is your friend, I had this info in just a few minutes.

I would try both adapters to see which gets the best signal from the Xfinity, then use the other as an AP.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
You can set your adapter to only one function at a time, so you need to set one adapter to connect to Xfinity, and the other as an AP.

You need to get directions for setting up AP, it's explained pretty well here for the Netis: http://www.netis-systems.com/en/FAQ/1908.html

Google is your friend, I had this info in just a few minutes.

I would try both adapters to see which gets the best signal from the Xfinity, then use the other as an AP.

Solution

EC3

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

As stated in the original post, I couldn't get AP mode to work. That's why I am looking to find a solution
on using the adapters together.

Are there settings I need to configure in Windows 7 so the USB adapters will work together or should they work
with just the included software? If it's the latter, then they are not working together because setting one to infrastructure and the other to AP mode is not enough tho share the connection.

I'm able to pickup the xfinitywifi signal alone on the Roku but it's not a strong enough signal to stream video.

The WF2116 gets the best signal because it has the added benefit of the antennas so I tried that in Infrastructure Mode and the Tenda in AP Mode, again, no luck. Also tried the reverse and no luck.

I'm starting to think that sharing a WiFi connection from the original WiFi (xfinity Hotspot) connection is not going to be easy to achieve or at all reliable/strong enough to stream video.

EC3

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
I might have figured it out but I need to test the Roku.

I went into my Network Connections and selected my USB Wifi (Netis WF2116) xfinitywifi connection. Right clicked, and went to Properties. Under the Sharing tab, I checked the "Allow othe Network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection" box.

Then I went into the Netis software and checked the "Virtual WiFi allowed" box.

After that it did it's setup for me. I just added a password to connect.

The SSID appeared on my phone and I was able to connect. I opened my Netflix app and it played just fine.

Now I need to check the Roku and see if it works there.

EC3

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
The Roku didn't work. It showed the Network I created but wouldn't connect to it. It does connect to the xfinitywifi right away.

I could connect my laptop and phone to my network so it must be the Roku that is the problem.

fjlabelle

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
You need to buy a hootoo tripmate it works great and very easy to use. You turn it on go into your wireless connections find it then open explorer and type in the browser 10.10.10.254 get on the hootoo page and set it up follow this guys http://www.omerkhan.com/how-to-connect-roku-to-hotel-wifi/ nstructions

it work perfect for me
hootoo goes for $40

fjlabelle

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
forgot to say HOOTOO is the only way
tried it all
If you're going through a wireless laptop or Ipad u have no other choice as you need a router that can log on to the XFINITY page
Enjoy!

Leslie_6

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
i connect my laptop to the wifi hotspot. open the browser and sign in once. then use virtual router software to creat a wireless network. connect the roku to that new network that runs through my laptop..works very well and doesn't count towards my data caps lol