Question How do I split internet line from outside and into 2 separate rooms?

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
Hello,
I recently purchased a ranch style house. The cable box outside has a coax cable routed outside into our living room. There I have a modem connected to a Google Nest router. On the opposite side of the house is my office and it gets very small signal. So I bought another Google Nest and set up a mesh network. The second nest is at the middle of the house. Signal is much better but the speeds are still only 1/3 of what they should be.

Outdoor cable box > coax to modem in living room > ethernet to Google Nest

I was thinking of splitting the coax from the outdoor cable box into two, then just wiring one to my living room and the other to my office (opposite side of the house). But I don't think that's going to work. It'll be like running 2 separate internet lines. Online people recommend MOCA devices but I'm a bit confused how they would work. I only have 1 coax cable running from outdoor cable box and into my living room. MOCA devices also need to connect to a coax. So would I need to install a separate coax outlet in my living room and wire it to my office on the other side of the house? Still doesn't make sense to me because my modem only has 1 coax plug.

I would like to somehow hardwire the second Google Nest in my office so that I get great signal on both ends of the house. Would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend a wiring setup. Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
I recently purchased a ranch style house. The cable box outside has a coax cable routed outside into our living room. There I have a modem connected to a Google Nest router. On the opposite side of the house is my office and it gets very small signal. So I bought another Google Nest and set up a mesh network. The second nest is at the middle of the house. Signal is much better but the speeds are still only 1/3 of what they should be.

I was thinking of splitting the coax from the outdoor cable box into two, then just wiring one to my living room and the other to my office (opposite side of the house). But I don't think that's going to work. It'll be like running 2 separate internet lines. Online people recommend MOCA devices but I'm a bit confused how they would work. I only have 1 coax cable running from outdoor cable box and into my living room. MOCA devices also need to connect to a coax. So would I need to install a separate coax outlet in my living room and wire it to my office on the other side of the house? Still doesn't make sense to me because my modem only has 1 coax plug.

I would like to somehow hardwire the second Google Nest in my office so that I get great signal on both ends of the house. Would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend a wiring setup. Thanks!
Either MoCA or ethernet requires a cable from your primary router to the remote location. It is always simpler to use ethernet cable.
Do you already have a coax from your current router to the remote ?

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
Either MoCA or ethernet requires a cable from your primary router to the remote location. It is always simpler to use ethernet cable.
I do not. I was hoping there's a way do split it from the cable box just because my office and outdoor cable box is on the same side of the house. Plus this side of the house has a basement so wiring is easier. In my living room, where the coax is currently wired to, there's no basement. So if I need to wire ethernet from modem (living room) to my 2nd nest end point it'll have to be above ground somehow or through outside.

You can buy exterior grade ethernet cable. You could run it back out through your LR wall, around the outside of your house and back into your office. If you want to go all out you could even install outdoor metal conduit to hold the ethernet cable.

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
You can buy exterior grade ethernet cable. You could run it back out through your LR wall, around the outside of your house and back into your office. If you want to go all out you could even install outdoor metal conduit to hold the ethernet cable.
Just to be clear. I should scrap the idea of coax and just hard wire ethernet. The ethernet would go from my model #2 slot and into my second end point. I currently have #1 slot on my modem connected to my first nest. Did I understand correctly?

Just to be clear. I should scrap the idea of coax and just hard wire ethernet. The ethernet would go from my model #2 slot and into my second end point. I currently have #1 slot on my modem connected to my first nest. Did I understand correctly?
Yes, that might be best if you really don't need a second nest. Or you could buy a small ethernet switch box, go from nest to switch to both second nest and outside cable to office. Or go from living room to wherever the basement begins and hardwire the remainder of the house over the basement from a switch box there.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes. Run an ethernet from the second port on your primary Nest to the second unit. I dont' know if you can use the second port on the second Nest as a wired connection for other devices.

Reactions: galerecon

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
The cable "in" is coax comes from your provider supplies the signal for all communication including Ethernet which is supplied by the unit. It is the modem (modulation/demodulation side of a gateway). The router output is WiFi side.

Last edited:
Hello,

Do some reading about 'powerline internet' see if it fits your needs.

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
Do some reading about 'powerline internet' see if it fits your needs.
I just bought a powerline adapter and will test out how it works. Hopefully it will be great as it's the easiest solution. Another option I thought of is to put the modem in my basement with a switch (right below all of the bedrooms and my office) and hardwire ethernet to both google nest points.

It's pretty much the same as hard wiring another ethernet from one google nest to the other on opposite sides of the house but the benefit is that I won't have 2 wires (coax and ethernet) running outside. The cable box outside, my office, all the bedrooms, and basement are all of the same side of the house. The switch will give me flexibility to hardwire additional ethernet ports in my kids bedrooms if needed in the future. Much more work but seams to be the best option I could come up with.

Power line is "ok". It is rather slow by modern standards. Most houses if you buy the top units (they have 2000) numbers you might get 130mbps. Depends on the distance and the electrical wires.

Moca over coax is full gigabit speed.

Running ethernet or maybe coax is always going to be your best option. It is a pain to get installed but once it is in they basically work forever.

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
Yeah powerline doesn't work well...only getting about 25mbps where as I get 50+ just with wifi in my office. Paying for 500mbps (which I do get in the living room where my modem and main google nest is). I'll go with my original plan I guess. Modem in the basement then ethernet wire to the nest in my office (above the basement) and wire through outside to the opposite end of the house to my living room to connect is to the other nest.

Running wire is always going to be better.

Now for someone who has no other option the 25mbps speed on powerline might actually be better than 50mbps on wifi. IF they mostly play online games, seems to be most people who post here, then the stability of the signal is much more important than bandwidth. Games only need 1mbps but they do not tolerate random latency between packets very well. Wifi unlike any other technology retransmits damaged data but this causes random small delays.

So it greatly depends what you are doing. Something like 4k netflix need more than 25mbps but it will tolerate data spikes you get on wifi.

A ethernet cable though you the best of both. You get low delay with no loss and your get huge bandwidth.

TRENDING THREADS