Question How do I start my PC without a GPU and driver software

Apr 29, 2019
I uninstalled my Nvidia driver on my PC, and tried turning on my PC with my GPU connected, it managed to boot and display a screen, however, it froze (probably because I have alot of applications that turn on automatically on boot). After it froze, I tried to force shutdown my PC and boot it up again, this time the screen remained black and did not receive a signal (could not even enter BIOS).

I then removed my GPU from the PC, and tried to boot it up with my GPU, but the outcome was the same, the PC turns on, but my monitor does not read a signal. May I know how I could possibly boot up my PC without a GPU so that I can install my driver back?

My Specs
Intel i5 Processor
ASRock H110M-HDV Motherboard
16GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1070 GPU

Go into the BIOS and double check if the PC is trying to use the CPU integrated GPU instead of the PCIe one. The simpler way to double check is just connecting the monitor to one of the MoBo display connectors and see if it displays anything.

When you manage to boot up the system, I strongly recommend you use the GPU driver cleaner from 3DGuru: https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

Make sure you read the instructions correctly and download the correct version. This will get rid of any side-problems of upgrading your GPU (which I think is what you did?).

Cheers!

It's probably going to be easier getting a display to work than booting without one. If there is no display even before your OS starts, then it's not a driver issue.

You could reset your BIOS (clear CMOS), as default settings usually account for any possible VGA configuration. Since your motherboard has an onboard display adapter, this would probably be the default so use that. The motherboard manual usually has instructions on how to do that, but it usually means changing a jumper back and forth.

Keep in mind that resetting your bios will also reset your storage controller configuration (AHCI/RAID), so if your controller is set to RAID, please set it again before letting your OS boot so you don't lose your arrays.

EDIT: Just to be sure, did you try removing the 1070 and booting from the onboard VGA? If you didn't, you should try that before.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019
Go into the BIOS and double check if the PC is trying to use the CPU integrated GPU instead of the PCIe one. The simpler way to double check is just connecting the monitor to one of the MoBo display connectors and see if it displays anything.

When you manage to boot up the system, I strongly recommend you use the GPU driver cleaner from 3DGuru: https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

Make sure you read the instructions correctly and download the correct version. This will get rid of any side-problems of upgrading your GPU (which I think is what you did?).

Cheers!

How do I access the BIOS? The current issue I have with trying to start up into BIOS is that my monitor isnt receiving any sort of signal from my computer, meaning its a black screen that detects nothing :(

How do I access the BIOS? The current issue I have with trying to start up into BIOS is that my monitor isnt receiving any sort of signal from my computer, meaning its a black screen that detects nothing :(
I gave you 2 ideas:
1.- Go to the BIOS.
2.- Connect the monitor to the MoBo instead of your GPU.

Try with number 2 before going into the BIOS, as you can't get any image on your monitor.

Cheers!

Apr 29, 2019
It's probably going to be easier getting a display to work than booting without one. If there is no display even before your OS starts, then it's not a driver issue.

You could reset your BIOS (clear CMOS), as default settings usually account for any possible VGA configuration. Since your motherboard has an onboard display adapter, this would probably be the default so use that. The motherboard manuel usually has instructions on how to do that, but it usually means changing a jumper back and forth.

Keep in mind that resetting your bios will also reset your storage controller configuration (AHCI/RAID), so if your controller is set to RAID, please set it again before letting your OS boot so you don't lose your arrays.

EDIT: Just to be sure, did you try removing the 1070 and booting from the onboard VGA? If you didn't, you should try that before.

thanks for the reply! I'll try again and update on this thread. Regarding your question, yes i did remove the 1070 and try booting without it, but it still had no signal

All graphics adapters have a default low res mode that does not need any drivers to run.
That is why you can get into the bios with nothing or why you can delete discrete graphics drivers to do a clean install.

1. Know which adapter you are using and attach your monitor to that one.
You should at least be able to enter the bios screen.
Often if a discrete adapter is present the bios will use that to display the bios screen.

2. Verify that your monitor input selection is to the right cable.

TRENDING THREADS