[SOLVED] how do I stop an app that brings itself to the front?

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
All right, at work I have a computer that we need to use that has two monitors. On the second monitor is every alarm that we have. This app keeps popping itself to the foreground preventing me from typing a long sentence or doing anything else as when it does come to the foreground it cuts off the other app that I'm using. The main app is called "Alarm Monitoring" while I'm trying to use other apps such as Word, Chrome, Explorer, among others.

Solution
It should but the company is cheap... The alarm thing tells us when doors are forced open and when people use their badges or get denied access... And whenever there is an alarm, which is often cause the card readers are faulty, the app comes to the foreground of any other app we are using, apps such as Word where we are typing our logs for the day, sending email to our bosses, etc...
That thing is actually costing your company money.

Just have to frame it correctly to the boss.

"Boss...every time that pops up, it takes 10 minutes to get back to where I was.
10 minutes x 8 times a day = 80 minutes.
@$15/hour, that is $400 per month in actual lost time.
A dedicated PC for that alarm thing pays for itself in ONE month."
D

Deleted member 14196

Why don’t you use simple desktop software that will create a virtual desktop and you can run that app only in that desktop

USAFRet

Titan
All right, at work I have a computer that we need to use that has two monitors. On the second monitor is every alarm that we have. This app keeps popping itself to the foreground preventing me from typing a long sentence or doing anything else as when it does come to the foreground it cuts off the other app that I'm using. The main app is called "Alarm Monitoring" while I'm trying to use other apps such as Word, Chrome, Explorer, among others.
What is this alarm thing for?

Seems to me that should be on its own dedicated PC.

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
It should but the company is cheap... The alarm thing tells us when doors are forced open and when people use their badges or get denied access... And whenever there is an alarm, which is often cause the card readers are faulty, the app comes to the foreground of any other app we are using, apps such as Word where we are typing our logs for the day, sending email to our bosses, etc...

USAFRet

Titan
That thing is actually costing your company money.

Just have to frame it correctly to the boss.

"Boss...every time that pops up, it takes 10 minutes to get back to where I was.
10 minutes x 8 times a day = 80 minutes.
@$15/hour, that is $400 per month in actual lost time.
A dedicated PC for that alarm thing pays for itself in ONE month."

Reactions: Krotow
Solution