[SOLVED] How do I stop making my Kraken z73 fans max out and then drop rpms then repeat that process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjj25

Commendable
Dec 24, 2017
So my build is a i7 9700k, gtx 2080 with a kraken z73 AIO. I also recently got 32 gb of rbg corsair ram (this is when I believe my problems started). So this week i installed my ram and had to go into the BIOS and change the speed of the ram to 3200 and when I start playing games, usually when the CPU gets around 45 degrees the fans start jumping around in RPMs. Ive tried going into the CAM software and changing the curves and nothing helped. Ive went into the BIOS and changed the curves there, no luck. Ive also unplugged the fans from the AIO connector and hooked them up directly to the MOBO and still does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way to fix it? i believe this started to happen when I installed the new RAM but im not 100% sure. Im at the point where I might just take the cooler off and use my old one and just sell this one.

Solution
So I have a update, I couldnt figure anything out for the longest time and ended up switching out my CPU cooler and updating BIOS and that still didnt help. Then I disabled turbo mode in my BIOS and I havent had the fan speed up since. My clock speeds were around 4600 when I was gaming before and now they are maxed at my stock speeds of 3600MHz when gaming. When I do this the speeds are always stuck at 3600, will that hurt my CPU since thats technically max core speed? Thanks, this is the only fix ive had so far.

Okay well now it makes sense so I think that your cpu cooler's fans were only ramping up to meet the demanding needs of your CPU boosting up that high. Downclocking it won't hurt it at all, but it will make you CPU...

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
So my build is a i7 9700k, gtx 2080 with a kraken z73 AIO. I also recently got 32 gb of rbg corsair ram (this is when I believe my problems started). So this week i installed my ram and had to go into the BIOS and change the speed of the ram to 3200 and when I start playing games, usually when the CPU gets around 45 degrees the fans start jumping around in RPMs. Ive tried going into the CAM software and changing the curves and nothing helped. Ive went into the BIOS and changed the curves there, no luck. Ive also unplugged the fans from the AIO connector and hooked them up directly to the MOBO and still does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way to fix it? i believe this started to happen when I installed the new RAM but im not 100% sure. Im at the point where I might just take the cooler off and use my old one and just sell this one.

It's normal to have changing fan speeds on a cpu fan or aio, they are just changing to adjust your cpu temps to the preset levels. Can you send me a recording of their sound? That might change things if they are actually abnormally changing. Could also be a BIOS Update, you should check that.

joshjj25

Commendable
Dec 24, 2017
It's normal to have changing fan speeds on a cpu fan or aio, they are just changing to adjust your cpu temps to the preset levels. Can you send me a recording of their sound? That might change things if they are actually abnormally changing. Could also be a BIOS Update, you should check that.
I wont be by my PC for a week or so but its never done this before. I dont think this is normal, they go from quiet to loud for like 2 seconds and then back down and just repeat. CAM just had a software update and it still does the same thing. I havent updated to BIOS or anything because im not that familiar with BIOS changes. Ive thought about just resetting the BIOS to factory settings, would that hurt anything? Would their be a reason i cant get the fans to listen to my curves?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I wont be by my PC for a week or so but its never done this before. I dont think this is normal, they go from quiet to loud for like 2 seconds and then back down and just repeat. CAM just had a software update and it still does the same thing. I havent updated to BIOS or anything because im not that familiar with BIOS changes. Ive thought about just resetting the BIOS to factory settings, would that hurt anything? Would their be a reason i cant get the fans to listen to my curves?

Resetting your BIOS would be a good move, but I think you first should check with hardware info or a pc monitoring tool. Match the fans ramping up and down by seeing if your CPU is under load during those times. If it's under load, then you have a software issue that is causing the cpu to be stressed for no reason. If there is no load on the cpu, then the fans or the aio is somehow messed up. Definitely reset BIOS, and then update it.

joshjj25

Commendable
Dec 24, 2017
Resetting your BIOS would be a good move, but I think you first should check with hardware info or a pc monitoring tool. Match the fans ramping up and down by seeing if your CPU is under load during those times. If it's under load, then you have a software issue that is causing the cpu to be stressed for no reason. If there is no load on the cpu, then the fans or the aio is somehow messed up. Definitely reset BIOS, and then update it.
Ive watched the fans on CAM and they dont show them ramping up, any software you would recommend I try? Do you think the RAM would have any cause of this?

D

Deleted member 14196

Just use task manager and watch the CPU load as the fans ramp up and down. You can also use resource monitor

joshjj25

Commendable
Dec 24, 2017
Just use task manager and watch the CPU load as the fans ramp up and down. You can also use resource monitor
Oh ive used that, it started with monster hunter and it uses alot of cpu, 80% plus. But they also spin randomly when i play cod and it only uses like 30-40%. Its just never done this before, ive used this build previously with different ram with no problem.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Oh ive used that, it started with monster hunter and it uses alot of cpu, 80% plus. But they also spin randomly when i play cod and it only uses like 30-40%. Its just never done this before, ive used this build previously with different ram with no problem.

Ok then that sounds like a fan problem so you should probably reset bios and then update it. Also, check your pins on the fan headers and fan plugs themselves to see if maybe they're broken?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

And also, spinning even under a 40% load is normal, it's in accordance to the temps. I say you should download a benchmark like Cinebench R20, and run it. The fans should go to about 1000rpm or so idk how fast an aio works as I don't have one, but that should show you whether or not it's normal.

Aug 20, 2020
I had this same problem and it drives me crazy. I have 8 sticks of that 32gb Corsair memory. It’s that annoying ramping up and down and random intervals. At first I thought is was this air cooler for my 3970x. I thought I didn’t do a good job of attaching the CPU fan to the fins. It was a pain in the ass. I recently purchased a z73 and I still have the same problem. So I’m not sure what it is

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I had this same problem and it drives me crazy. I have 8 sticks of that 32gb Corsair memory. It’s that annoying ramping up and down and random intervals. At first I thought is was this air cooler for my 3970x. I thought I didn’t do a good job of attaching the CPU fan to the fins. It was a pain in the ass. I recently purchased a z73 and I still have the same problem. So I’m not sure what it is

Damn thats a stacked setup lol. Idk, maybe try updating NZXT CAM? Or you could just disable fan curves and have it set at a fixed temp and change them under a load, although that's really annoying to do.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I had a similar issue on a few PCs i build with NZXT X62 coolers. The issue for me was the "newest" NZXT CAM software. I tried running it without the Software since i didnt consider it an issue back then. I believe it ramps up because you usually are supposed to connect the Fans over a direct connecter coming from the Pump itself. I went back to using a version i was confindent about and everything started working fine. NZXT CAM 3.7.8 is my go to, but idk if its gonna work with the newer AIOs since its from 07/2019 but maybe its worth a shot.

Aug 20, 2020
I had a similar issue on a few PCs i build with NZXT X62 coolers. The issue for me was the "newest" NZXT CAM software. I tried running it without the Software since i didnt consider it an issue back then. I believe it ramps up because you usually are supposed to connect the Fans over a direct connecter coming from the Pump itself. I went back to using a version i was confindent about and everything started working fine. NZXT CAM 3.7.8 is my go to, but idk if its gonna work with the newer AIOs since its from 07/2019 but maybe its worth a shot.

Ok so I have a 3 fans attached to my x73 radiator on the front pulling air in. Then I have 2 exhaust fans on the top of case and one exhaust on the rear of my case. I just plugged all these fans into various pump fan headers on the mobo. Should I be doing something specific? Not sure i understand what your saying.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Well you have 3 fans coming with the Radiator right? and the cable coming from the Pump or power connection for the pump should have 4-6 PWM pins for the specific fans, right? You plug your Radiator fans into that so it connects directly to your pump (or motherboard its been a while dont know the exact cables here, but you know what i mean). Then you boot up that hoe. Fans should go 100% and like crazy, no worries they are made for that ( i always tend to panic when that happens but its normal) so after that you get the CAM software started up, idk for x53,63,73 you probably need the newest "updated" one. you go get that and put the Pump and Fans down to the lowest (should be 25% or something). After you restart, go into the BIOS and check if Fan overwrite is disabled, because otherwise they will go 100% everytime you start your PC. Hope things got a bit clearer now. I cant guarantee that it will work but thats what i would do. Your Case Fans can stay hooked up to whater PWM pin youre using

joshjj25

Commendable
Dec 24, 2017
So I have a update, I couldnt figure anything out for the longest time and ended up switching out my CPU cooler and updating BIOS and that still didnt help. Then I disabled turbo mode in my BIOS and I havent had the fan speed up since. My clock speeds were around 4600 when I was gaming before and now they are maxed at my stock speeds of 3600MHz when gaming. When I do this the speeds are always stuck at 3600, will that hurt my CPU since thats technically max core speed? Thanks, this is the only fix ive had so far.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

Okay well now it makes sense so I think that your cpu cooler's fans were only ramping up to meet the demanding needs of your CPU boosting up that high. Downclocking it won't hurt it at all, but it will make you CPU considerably slower. If you can, I would say set it to a 4.2 GHZ all core overclock, that way it shouldn't be running too hot, but also won't be really slow and get you a nice frame rate bump.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS