[SOLVED] How do I stop my computer from crashing?

Aug 21, 2019
Hello everybody. I have a 9700k that I got about 5 months ago. I run it on a z370 chipset and I have a few problems with it. When I leave everything stock, the computer crashes when it boosts up to a higher clock. I have it clocked at 4.5ghz which is all that it’s stable at. It runs perfectly well. Any more and it will crash. There is no problem with cooling. The highest it gets is maybe 52-54 degrees. What can I do to get my cpu to run stable at at least the stock settings?

Solution
You need the motherboard drivers. Total reliance on Windows to supply drivers for non-microsoft chips and controllers isn't good.

It's like one of those Samsung TV all-in-one remotes, they'll change channels, on/off, volume and a few other things on your blue-ray player, but if you really want to operate that Panasonic BR, you need to use the Panasonic remote. Motherboard drivers are no different. Windows uses generic drivers (all-in-one remote) and your Sata, USB, Lan, audio etc are not powered by Intel (some are) or Microsoft but by companies like Renasus, Marvell, ASmedia, Realtek etc. (Panasonic remote).

Go to Gigabytes website, look up the downloads section for drivers (same place you'd go for bios update) and install All of...

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Does the PC just shut off or do you get a blue screen? Because if the PSU is at fault i can't see why it goes in "defensive" mode when you use the stock settings, but decides it's ok when you overclock it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's ram, gpu or gpu drivers normally but could be the cpu if the memory controller isn't getting enough voltage. If it was the psu, it'd black screen, not freeze.

When you OC are you doing it manually, then resetting to factory defaults to clear it, or using OC Genie or just resetting the clocks to auto? Sometimes OC will automatically adjust other settings you don't see, and manually changing clocks doesn't return the settings, leaving stock unstable. Using OC Genie is worse as once it's in place its a pain to remove and reset everything back.

InvalidError

Titan
That's ram, gpu or gpu drivers normally but could be the cpu if the memory controller isn't getting enough voltage. If it was the psu, it'd black screen, not freeze.
Although tripping a PSU-related protection which would trigger a system reset is the most common outcome of sub-par PSUs with Haswell and newer CPUs, there is a slight possibility that garbage voltage in will cause garbage voltage out of the VRM, corrupt data and cause the CPU to lock up too.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you installed all the latest motherboard chipset drivers from Gigabytes support website? That'll usually include audio, Lan, Sata, pcie, USB, Intel management engine etc. Some drivers can have conflicts with Windows quarterly major updates. Even nvidia drivers need constant updates now because of that.

I'd start with getting actual, stable performance first, worry about best performance later.

Aug 21, 2019
Have you installed all the latest motherboard chipset drivers from Gigabytes support website? That'll usually include audio, Lan, Sata, pcie, USB, Intel management engine etc. Some drivers can have conflicts with Windows quarterly major updates. Even nvidia drivers need constant updates now because of that.

I'd start with getting actual, stable performance first, worry about best performance later.
I only have latest bios installed. I don’t really worry abt anything else. I also have the latest graphics card drivers installed. I am running stable with what I have now. The oc on the gpu and the cpu @4.5ghz. I did many stress tests and even left them on overnight and it was fine. I just wanna be able to squeeze more out of my system. I constantly see videos how people overclocl their 9700k’s to 5.0-5.2 ghz. Also, in order to keep it stable I have to run my cpu @1.385V. Is that a little high for 4.5ghz or all good?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You need the motherboard drivers. Total reliance on Windows to supply drivers for non-microsoft chips and controllers isn't good.

It's like one of those Samsung TV all-in-one remotes, they'll change channels, on/off, volume and a few other things on your blue-ray player, but if you really want to operate that Panasonic BR, you need to use the Panasonic remote. Motherboard drivers are no different. Windows uses generic drivers (all-in-one remote) and your Sata, USB, Lan, audio etc are not powered by Intel (some are) or Microsoft but by companies like Renasus, Marvell, ASmedia, Realtek etc. (Panasonic remote).

Go to Gigabytes website, look up the downloads section for drivers (same place you'd go for bios update) and install All of them. Some you may have to install older versions first, as newer versions can be just updates, not full driver packages.

Solution
Aug 21, 2019

Go to Gigabytes website, look up the downloads section for drivers (same place you'd go for bios update) and install All of them. Some you may have to install older versions first, as newer versions can be just updates, not full driver packages.
Will do. After I install all of the drivers will the problem be fixed?