[SOLVED] How do I stop my wi-fi from disconnecting constantly.

Mar 29, 2019
Hello all.

I use a USB wi-fi adapter to connect to an ASUS modem. I've been using this adapter on this computer for years with no problem. Recently, however, I've been getting disconnected continuously. I have not changed any settings. The disconnects are not usually noticeable when browsing the internet or even when watching videos. They are prevalent when I am on skype, playing online videogames, and streaming. This is not to say that disconnecting does not occur while browsing - there have been a few times where I have to reload a webpage to get it open. I should note that I am never informed of these wi-fi disconnects by the bottom right wi-fi bars on windows desktop. No yellow exclamation point or red X appears during these disconnects. It always shows five healthy white bars.

I have tried different USB ports, and I purchased and tried another USB adapter with no luck. I have also turned off all power saving settings, and I have turned off the power saving specifically for all of my USB ports, my wifi adapters, and the wifi itself. Yet, I still get these disconnects. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
If you have tried another USB adapter it could be the internet connection itself.

Best option is to try this for a while on a ethernet cable and see if you get the same disconnects. This will quickly show if the internet connection and/or the router maybe be the issue.

Actual wifi issue you can do little about. It could be you have a neighbor that got a new router and are on the same channel as you. You could try to change the channels but that trick seldom work now days since you have many neighbors all doing the same thing and modern routers no longer use single channels they tend to use all the radio channels to increase the speed.
If you have tried another USB adapter it could be the internet connection itself.

Best option is to try this for a while on a ethernet cable and see if you get the same disconnects. This will quickly show if the internet connection and/or the router maybe be the issue.

Actual wifi issue you can do little about. It could be you have a neighbor that got a new router and are on the same channel as you. You could try to change the channels but that trick seldom work now days since you have many neighbors all doing the same thing and modern routers no longer use single channels they tend to use all the radio channels to increase the speed.

Solution