[SOLVED] How do I stop Windows 10 from auto installing new updates?

outlawstar15a2

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I want to stop Windows 10 from auto installing updates when I click check for updates. I don't mind it downloading them but I want to see them before I install them. I had this setup in Group Policy Editor to download and and notify but let me choose when to install but now it seems to be ignoring GPE's settings. I remember a while ago hearing about a forced update that reverted all update settings and forced auto installation. I want to set it so that I can check for updates but not have it auto install them. When I brought my system back online it auto forced a GPU update that luckily didn't break anything. Stuff like that is very dangerous. I want to be able to see updates before installing them.

I want to stop Windows 10 from auto installing updates when I click check for updates. I don't mind it downloading them but I want to see them before I install them. I had this setup in Group Policy Editor to download and and notify but let me choose when to install but now it seems to be ignoring GPE's settings. I remember a while ago hearing about a forced update that reverted all update settings and forced auto installation. I want to set it so that I can check for updates but not have it auto install them. When I brought my system back online it auto forced a GPU update that luckily didn't break anything. Stuff like that is very dangerous. I want to be able to see updates before installing them.
I don't think you can stop OS updates.
Delay yes....stop no.
You can stop driver updates if that helps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Afaik Windows 10 Home version will auto update, Windows 10 Pro will not. Win 10 Home doesn't have a Group Policy functional access. Optional updates should not auto update in either. That should be switchable in the Update settings under Advanced. The only way to pause/delay that is to set a far future date.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10
It depends on which Updates.

Win 10 or 11 Pro...
If I manually check, a Security definition update for Defender will automatically do it.

I don't know that you can stop updates.
Why would you?
Windows knows more than you do.
That (sarcasm) said, I would protect myself by using system restore checkpoints before an update is launched.
The only way to stop it might be to disconnect from the internet.
Look into setting up so that update thinks you have a metered connection.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on which Updates.

Win 10 or 11 Pro...
If I manually check, a Security definition update for Defender will automatically do it.
Yes. Security updates always update, regardless of OS, but right now (I have 10 Pro) the latest Windows build is downloaded but still sitting there waiting to be installed. Which I dislike at times since the thing always resets half of the stuff I've changed like default audio etc.