[SOLVED] How do I stop windows from updating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I also faced similar issue when my system was automatically downloaded updates in June 2021 and after that the Temperature and Climate notification starts popping up on my system. This makes my system very slow. I have i5 Laptop with 248 GS SSD but still it was work like Celeron processor.

The best way is to uninstall the latest updates by going to Update Settings >> Uninstall Updates

There is no way you can stop Windows to download the updates, although you can monitor and prevent it downloading the updates, here are the steps:

1. Press Windows+R button
  2. Type services.msc > Enter
  3. Double click on Background Intelligence and Choose Disabled
  4. Double click on Windows Update and Choose Disabled

This will not allow the...

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
You can try these options
Generally speaking though, if updates are causing issues with your system, then you probably have some underlying issues that need to be resolved as well. If updates were consistently horking up my system, I'd immediately consider a format and reinstall of the OS.

-Wolf sends
The system works perfect without updates. No crashing, no lagging.

Reinstall of the OS didn't work. I have installed windows last month.

DSzymborski

Titan
View: https://imgur.com/a/tcfEMm1

I'm in a pretty bad situation here. I forgot to turn off windows update and now it downloaded by itself. How do I stop this? I have deleted the update files from software distribution folder.

Windows update always screws up my system. Dunno what it does but I face data loss everytime I update.

This is like solving your car's oil light indicator by spraying black spray paint over the glass.

Remedy the issue. And data that is important should never be lost from a bad Windows update because important data should already be backed up at all times.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
This is like solving your car's oil light indicator by spraying black spray paint over the glass.

Remedy the issue. And data that is important should never be lost from a bad Windows update because important data should already be backed up at all times.
Is There Any Way To Stop It? It'll Update If I Restart

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I'd be happy to help you fix the problem, which would require details and specs and a description of how you did a reinstall. But, for ethical reasons, I'm not going to assist in papering over the problem.
I deleted the files but it still updated. It is running fine for now, who knows if it'll have problems later.

I downloaded the windows 10 ISO from microsoft website and made a bootable USB with RUFUS. I'm using the product key I Bought Product key from here:
Pro version, 21H1. I downloaded in October 2020

If it's related to https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...rts-causing-serious-problems/?sh=744e60097a7e then it does go over some solutions.

Honestly though, it seems like now is a good time to get a back up plan in place and maybe store user files not in the user folder if you can help it.
That particular issue hasn't been a problem for well over a year now. It was fixed almost immediately. As said above, the problem lies within, not with the updates themselves.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
A Problem Has Started. The Pc Doesn't Turn Off After The Display Turns Off (I Switched It Off By The Windows Shutdown.)
I Fixed This Some Days Earlier, I Posted It On Toms Hardware Too. That Time it Was Caused By An App.

This Time, There Is Some Service Running In Task Manager. If I End The Process, The System Shuts Down Perfectly. The Location of That Process Is in The Windows Files.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
"Some Service"
"The Process"
"That Process"
"In The Windows Files"

You also haven't yet given us any information about your actual computer itself, either.

Do you see the recurring problem here?
View: https://imgur.com/a/enEvJyk

This....
It is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64
does "SysWOW64" exist in all computers? That name seems spooky

Specs:
Core i5 3470
Zebronics H61
GT 1030
Windows 10 64 bit 21H1 October (Update this month, so I dunno if its October anymore).

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
You can disable the windows update service:
https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/disable-update-windows-10.html
Re enable when you want to update.

I did this and so far, all is ok.
For whatever reason, on a 32 bit version of windows, update would interrupt my game, try to do an update, fail and restart.
Since this pc is an old one, only used to run civ 2.42( a 16 bit game) I have no need for new features.

That said, you probably should find out why update causes a problem.
If you upgraded to PRO, you get some options to defer some updates for a year.

Jul 12, 2021
I also faced similar issue when my system was automatically downloaded updates in June 2021 and after that the Temperature and Climate notification starts popping up on my system. This makes my system very slow. I have i5 Laptop with 248 GS SSD but still it was work like Celeron processor.

The best way is to uninstall the latest updates by going to Update Settings >> Uninstall Updates

There is no way you can stop Windows to download the updates, although you can monitor and prevent it downloading the updates, here are the steps:

This will not allow the Windows 10 to download the updates.

However, you will have to check once a time on daily basis the above settings and make sure that the options are set to Disabled.

Thanks me later :)

DSzymborski

Titan

This will not allow the Windows 10 to download the updates.

However, you will have to check once a time on daily basis the above settings and make sure that the options are set to Disabled.

Thanks me later :)

The best way would be for the OP to properly install Windows after a full format of the OS drive, not tinker with services that cause his OS to not load properly, take care of issues (in just over a month, we have threads from the OP with problems with his PSU sparking among other things), and make sure he's not doing things that increase the risk of more viruses (such as using pirated software). The goal should be a good fix, not a quick fix that ignores yet another problem for another day.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.