babo97

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
how do i stream from vlc media player to SONY BRAVIA KD49X8505BBU

if not VLC then what is the best software

my tv model is SONY BRAVIA KD49X8505BBU

also will there be a noticeable loss in quality

Solution
"Smart" TVs are "smart" in the way they can access Internet. There is no easy, standard way for across-the-room streaming. If your TV supports DLNA, you can share media thru Windows Media Sharing, or with specializd DLNA server if you will need transcoding.

The easiest (albeit expensive) way would be wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver pair.
"Smart" TVs are "smart" in the way they can access Internet. There is no easy, standard way for across-the-room streaming. If your TV supports DLNA, you can share media thru Windows Media Sharing, or with specializd DLNA server if you will need transcoding.

The easiest (albeit expensive) way would be wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver pair.

Solution

cjd411

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I'm not sure with VLC. But with Media Player all you have to do is:

Run the Windows Media Player, Open the appropriate Library (music, pictures or videos), depending on the type of media you want to play, Right click on the file you want to play and select "Play to" > "Choose your Smart TV." Really easy I did it last night. No loss in quality for me.

Hoyasaxa

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
The correct answer, for people coming later, is Serviio, which is a free lightweight DLNA player running in your system tray on your PC. It will transcode, but you don't need transcoding because your Samsung TV supports MKV as a container format and can decode most video contained therein. Windows Media Player will not successfully stream Matroska and is not the best solution.

Zio___

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

BUUUT windows media player has no subtitle option and VLC does :s
to the guy who did the question...u found out how to stream from vlc?

XeroHertZ

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

This is exactly what i'm looking for..I want to use VLC media player as it can use subtitle file, with streaming to TV via windows media player, substitle option is not possible

If anyone come up with a solution please let us know..i've been digging the internet for few days now and no solution.

stephen714

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
I use 2 different apps to do much the same thing, one much easier than the other. The old standard from back when now has a really useful function. RealPlayer will do much of what you want. It's a free app from my Fire TV and is available for most others, including Roku. I upload most video to their cloud because it's easier to store a lot of video there and I can access it anywhere. I use the computer Real Player app which is also free on my notebook to do much of this. It downloads video, it uploads to my Real Player cloud space and it streams directly to my Fire TV with no change in video format. Using the same setup, I can stream directly from my notebook to the TV through the Real Player Fire TV app. It organizes into albums, folders, playlists and more. It's a few dollars a month for all features and cloud space. There is also the Plex app which will stream from your computer too. This is free but there is also an inexpensive paid version. Unfortunately, Plex is subject to many software mixups and when it runs right, it's great. But one little foul up and that's the end because there is no tech support at Plex, not for any amount of money can you get help. There are thousands of pages of troubleshooting information on thir web site but this addresses the most complicated of problems for which you need a minimum of knowledge. Two years ago I started with Plex and by following the complicated instructions precisely, managed to get it set up and working. However, shortly after I was forced by a lack of tech support at Lenovo for my new notebook, to reinstall Windows. After almost all was done, I thought I could start with Plex again but that was not to be. The computer had a new Plex installation by necessity. The Fire TV plex app appeared to work, it recognized the computer and I could see my movies on the TV screen..not watch them but see they were there. I eventually realized the Plex Fire TV app was showing information from the cache and I could find no way to get it to recognize the new Windows installation. The name of the PC had changed but that didn't seem to make a difference. The Plex app kept showing me my videos that I knew were on the computer. I just took a while to realize the app thought it was the old Windows installation and in that case it was never going to be able to find or stream anything. I am about ready to try this again by uninstalling the Plex app from Fire TV and starting the setup from start. However there still is nothing on the entire Plex web site or any tech support to even tell me how to get rid of the original Plex app on the Fire TV. I would expect it should be able to be reset but I'm hoping instead I will find a way to get rid of that Plex app and reinstall it. The only reason I am even considering this is because the newest version of Real Player is bloated and not as clean and simple as it was. They are now pushing a version called Real Times which you can live without. Try to find the original Real Player app online and the same on Fire TV and it couldn't be simpler. In addition, there is free and competent tech support at Real Player which makes everything easy with it.