How do I switch heatsinks on my p4?

G

Hey

I am going to switch from my current air cooling system to the Thermaltake BigWater water cooling kit. But I want to keep my current p4 processor. I am worried that if I just put the new waterblock on the processor (which still has thermalpaste on it), the heat transfer would be diminished.

Should i just put more thermal paste on top of the current layer, or should i take it off somehow?

Thanks

endyen

Splendid
You can use isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol, or wood grain alcohol) goof-off or any high grade solvent that leaves no residue. Most people use the alcohol because it's cheap and can be bought ar most drug stores. 70% is good, higher is better, but most solutions work fine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just rub the stuff off with a cloth towel. When it looks clean, the residue is so thin it doesn't matter.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Would a P4 2.6c benifit from watercooling in overclocking? Mine wont reach past 3.125ghz no matter what voltage (1.7v), but thats with stock cooling (intel aluminium cooler with no copper base or anything).

G

thanks for the answers!

Nice to see that Crashman and the others r still here! wow! You guys have been here for ages!

I think i'll go with endyen's advice and use the rubbing alcohol.

Thanks again!!