How do I switch these 3-pin connectors?

Sep 27, 2018
My Samsung monitor has been making unbearable noises, and since its warranty has expired many years ago, I decided to take a look. It turned out that the noises were caused by the motor of the cooling fan, something I couldn't fix. I decided to buy the exact same cooling fan on Amazon and replace the old one with this new one.

I bought the exact same model of cooling fan and thought I had checked everything carefully, but once I had the new cooling fan in my hands, it turned out that the 3-pin connectors are different. The new one has a smaller connector, whereas the old one has a larger connector. I took some photos, where the top one is the new cooling fan, and the bottom one the old cooling fan.

CgTUPXm.jpg

JUe9vEr.jpg

I tried to do some Googling, but I can't seem to find a way to switch these connectors. How do I take the cables out of both connectors, and connect the cables of the new cooling fan to the larger connector? Hopefully someone can enlighten me!

Any help is much appreciated!

its only the connectors that are different if you have a soldering iron chop the connectors off and solder them together as two cables. if not then just get some small metal and use some pliers to crimp it together put some electrical tape around them should be fine. there only low voltage fans

Sep 27, 2018

Thank you for your response! I don't have a soldering iron, unfortunately. I also don't have to solder these two cables together, I have to take both connectors off, and put the cables of my new cooling fan in the larger connector, so I'm able to plug my new cooling fan into my monitor's motherboard. Do you have any idea how to make this happen?

I think what you are saying is he could simply splice the cables and connect them with some electrical tape?

Sep 27, 2018
Thank you guys, that clarification was quite helpful. I eventually decided to go for this method. I spliced the cables, but since I don't have any electrical tape lying around, I decided to twist the cables together to see if it would actually work. Eventually I plugged the new cooling fan in my monitor, and I was very glad to find out that it works. This is the way I twisted them together and plugged them in the motherboard:

DK07oA6.jpg

What I am wondering now is: is it safe to twist the wires together like this and just leave them in this way?