How do I take advantage of a non-gsync display with BenQ 144hz 1920x1080p FHD

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I have a BenQ/Zowie and it has the ability to display at 144hz however the only time I tried the screen went crazy. Of course I was using HDMI and a card (at the time) which couldn't offer up the higher rate speed.

If I use a display port on my Predator 15 w/ 1060 6GB can I hit those speeds or even increase my speeds through HDMI to maybe 120hz?

Also, is there any bad points about keeping the rate (aside from gaming) at the speed (144/120)?
Thanks!

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
You probably need a DVI-D cable. I know that's what I needed with my 144hz Acer monitor. It even popped up an error on screen when I tried to set 144hz saying use the DVI-D cable that came with the monitor. It took forever to find it but once I did I was able to hit 144hz no problem.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I did find one downside to high refresh rate, it makes your video card work harder even when it is doing nothing. I was only able to set my secondary monitor (able to do 144hz) to 100hz otherwise my GPU was running at higher usage, IE higher heat and faster required fan speed. Oh and HDMI is only able to do 60hz, at least with my 980ti and my Acer 144hz 1080p monitor.

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Well my Predator 15 has a display port and a HDMI output and the BenQ has a D-Sub, DVI-DL and and HDMI input. If I use the DVI-DL what type of adapter should I use... And what's the difference between a mini-dp and and a dp port. (Aside from the obvious one is smaller). I'm not sure what you would consider the display port on my Predator.