Question How do I take the drive of my old system and use it as a secondary drive in my new config ?

Mar 29, 2019
So, basically we were removing useless stuff at my house and found my old config. I decided to see if I can recycle stuff and removed my 1TB hard drive. I checked the compatibility and it's the right SATA.

After looking online I found a couple of threads and tutorials that told how to set a drive with windows as a secondary drive but I wanted to be sure.

Here are the steps I came up with. (PS: my old drive still has (useless) files and windows)

1. Put in the old drive in my current setup (computer turned off)

2. Launch the computer in BIOS mode

3. Check the SSD is the set as the highest priority

4. Reset the old drive in BIOS (don't know what they mean by that, so a lil more explanation on how would be cool)

5. Restart computer

If you could tell me what I got right and what's wrong it'd be cool

I also wondered If I can use my old cables to connect my drive to the computer ?

Thanks in advance

". Reset the old drive in BIOS (don't know what they mean by that, so a lil more explanation on how would be cool) "

I don't know what this means either. I wouldn't worry about it.

You basically have it.

When you restart the machine you should see the drive listed in the BIOS.

...and make sure you SSD is at the top of the boot order.

That's it.

Now you may want to format the drive....if you want to clean it.....or not.....it's up to you,

Mar 29, 2019
". Reset the old drive in BIOS (don't know what they mean by that, so a lil more explanation on how would be cool) "

I don't know what this means either. I wouldn't worry about it.

You basically have it.

When you restart the machine you should see the drive listed in the BIOS.

...and make sure you SSD is at the top of the boot order.

That's it.

Now you may want to format the drive....if you want to clean it.....or not.....it's up to you,

Is it dangerous to have the old windows on the drive and can I format teh drive once I'm on the desktop ?

It's not dangerous.
It will just be there....but don't try to boot from it because the Windows on that drive is expecting the hardware from your old machine and I would expect you could run into problems.

That being said...I normally format the second drive because I usually use the second drive as a backup for clones of the main drive.

Mar 29, 2019
It's not dangerous.
It will just be there....but don't try to boot from it because the Windows on that drive is expecting the hardware from your old machine and I would expect you could run into problems.

That being said...I normally format the second drive because I usually use the second drive as a backup for clones of the main drive.
After I put the drive in, I put the windows booting manager of the old drive at the bottom. When I save and exit it buts me back on a bios screen saying:

SMART detected HDD/SSD failure 6 : TOSHIBA DT1ACA100
WARNING! Please back up your data and replace your hard disk drive
WARNING! Your HDD/SSD might crash at any moment

The order of the drives are:
Windows (my ssd)
My current HDD
My SSD (not the windows part)
The old drive (not windows)

Mar 29, 2019
It's not dangerous.

Thanks for your help but my drive is now a doorstop, after creating a new thread about an error I was getting a Moderator told me it basically was a doorstop, but I'll use your teaching for when I buy a new HDD for extra storage

SMART attribute 6 records data relevant to Read Channel Margin and is not an attribute commonly included in failure prediction.

SMART data as a whole is stored on the HDD controller board and does not care if your HDD is formatted for Linux, Apple, Intel, et cetera. SMART data relates to hardware. Disk formats etc are software.

The 6 refers to SATA port 6.
Run any SMART tool to read the SMART report to identify the specific failing SMART attribute(s).
https://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html