How do I tell if my graphics card is functioning at its full potential

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
So I put together my new build recently, installed windows 7, all the updates, and all the drivers. I've got 8 gb memory, an fx 6200, and a Gigabyte 7850 1gb OC.

According to reviews I've read, the 7850 should be capable of maxing a game like Far Cry 3, which actually comes with the card itself. Nevertheless, I find it stutters occasionally at high presets, much less ultra and very high. And God forbid I should put any anti-aliasing on. Even if I set it to only 2, gameplay instantly becomes considerably jerkier. If I put it at 4, it becomes entirely unplayable. I haven't tried 8 yet, but I'm pretty sure that would just crash the game XD

Anyhow, I honestly expected a bit more. Is there anything I'm not doing that is causing me to miss out on some of my video card's potential?

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Something isn't right in your setup. My 7750 with an I5 3570k plays games better than what you are suggesting. I'd fiddle with your catalyst settings for one. Anything that says "dynamic" in the catalyst or within a game can cause issues. Like in the borderlands game engine config file. You can also re-install the driver and see if that helps.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

As that is a fairly weak gaming processor, you are going to need to overclock it.

Also you need to mess around with the xml file to reach good fps on that game with weaker cpu's.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371830

abbadon_34

Distinguished
There are couple options that are ATI/Nvidia specific, like HDAO vs HBAO, also try adjusting the prerender on the other video menu it's there to address strutter issues, for me the default was fine. Also make sure you are using the right drivers and CAP profiles. There's no reason you shouldn't be playing on ultra, at least with MSAA turned down.

edit: Just checked my settings (beat the game awhile ago), Vsync and MSAA off, HDAO, render=1, all else ultra or highest availible, 30-40 fps smooth, Phenom II 940 + 6950 2gb, both with a 10% oc

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
When running your game have MSi Afterburner running in the background and see if your video card is using around 99% usage. If so your card is running at it's full. If not your CPU may be holding it back.