[SOLVED] How do I tell if UPS or PSU issue?

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I have a APC ES-550 battery backup power supply connected to my PC with an ASUS board that has surge protection.

I'm trying to find out if my issue is the power supply? or the power bar?

Basically, I am in an old old house with old wiring. No proper ground. The APC software detects that and warns me about it... can't do much about it at this time.

2 weeks ago, we had a scheduled power outtage (small town, technically a hamlet) and when it went down the APC did it's job. When 5min battery left it shut everything down properly no problem.

Maybe 5 days later, I woke up, PC was shut down, and the APC was off. But no power outtage in the house. Turned on the APC, red/green light blinking, and said battery needed replaced.

Few days ago, woke up, saw my PC was at the BIOS startup screen saying surges were detected and the PC shut down for safety. APC looked fine, blinking lights were now solid green. Looking at the software it no longer says battery needs replaced, shows 100% charged and the only power outtage detected was the scheduled one from 5 days prior.

Woke up today... APC seems fine, but had that same BIOS screen up again saying something about power surges. If happens again I'll write it down.

I assumed power bar because of the battery error and lights blinking, but after researching the BIOS error, it looks like possible a PSU isse?

How do I test? is there software or anything I can run to point me in the correct direction?

PSU is from 2015... EVGA GS 650 80+ Gold.