How do I test if my power supply works

HawesDoesIt

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
My PC shuts down like the power was pulled and automatically restarts after a few hours when playing certain games, namely ones with high fps outputs. I'm 90% sure it's my power supply at this point, but before I buy a new one how can I test it? I'm not gonna buy anything, I'd rather just risk it and buy a new power supply, so please only suggest like certain things like stress tests or software to monitor things. I have already tried HWmonitor and HWinfo to check my voltages, HWMonitor doesn't give me any readings, and HWinfo gives me +12v readings that are wayyy off. My voltage readings under no stress I found in the BIOS seem normal.

Specs:
i5-4460
4x 2GB 1066 ram sticks
Asrock h97 anniversary
GTX 1070
2tb hdd
evga 600b

Solution

The...

HawesDoesIt

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

thanks for not taking into account anything i wrote ;) i was mainly giving that info so nobody else asked about them

The readings in the bios are normally pretty accurate.

Same with HWINFO, as it reads the bios numbers.

That said the PSU you have isn't the greatest for the type of PC you have, it's a budget unit not ment for gaming systems.

Would be best to get a higher quality 550W unit like:

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2 or G3

Solution

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Not sure what you're asking then.

so please only suggest like certain things like stress tests or software to monitor thing
The only indication you (a general consumer) can get from testing your PSU is using a multimeter to test each voltage rail among different loads, and check they are within spec.

Otherwise, analyze your issues to deduce the culprit component. Full reboots/shutdows while system is at load is a common problem caused by low quality power supplies.

And voltages from software are not accurate. There have been many cases of voltages recorded as out of spec through BIOS, but in reality it's fine. It's because the BIOS readings come from an integrated circuit somewhere on the motherboard, not from the PSU itself. So the resistance between the PSU and IC on motherboard can cause deviations. Also, the IC may simply not be accurate at reading voltages, e.g rounded to the nearest 0.05V.

Ensure connections are firmly attached in your computer, and that cables are not tightly pulled.

HawesDoesIt

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
actually rex thanks a ton i wish i could give you best answer too cuz clearly i don't know much what im talking about i thought i could do it in software but i guess not. and your mind went exactly where mine did so thanks for telling me that's a common culprit of shit psus. i've replugged in the cables like 50 times so that's not it lol