How Do I Test Mobo Power Circuit?

G

[I asked this basic question in 'Other Components'. I'll try the mobo-specific version of it here.....]

My system sometimes acts like it isn't plugged in. Multiple cycles of both the front-panel and rear-panel power switches do nothing. Then, ultimately, it powers up. When its dead *nothing* happens: no case fans, nothing.

How do I isolate whether its the front-panel power switch, the motherboard, or power supply?

Thanks.

Jim
jimhasel@home.com

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
If I had a chance to get a good working power supply from another good working machine I would try it first.

Just usual basic questions, normally asked before providing with any advice: how and when it happened you got a problem? What are your system and power supply models and general technical data?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NickM on 11/11/01 05:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Aha! Thanks for the idea. To reduce the cabling disruption I used the 6 year old power cord from my old computer. I completely forgot that fact. Its running now on the new power cord that came with the case. I'll see if that makes a difference.

I forget half the time to post the specifics of my system:
InWin S506 Case; 300W PSU
Athlon 1.2 GHz; 266FSB, Thermaltake 6Cu cooler
Gigabyte GA-7DXR motherboard
256MB Crucial RAM
WD 40GB 7200 RPM hard drive
Sony 32x CD-ROM
Philips 8x CD-RW

Thanks again!

Jim

maxPower

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2001
Beware the cranky power supply!

I had similar problems...I had to hit the power switch 3 or 4 times before the comp came on. Then, one day after about a week of this, I heard a loud pop, whistle and smelled smoke: two of the capacitors on the motherboard had blown off.

It was a good excuse to upgrade though...

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
To test the power button on the computer, use a different case. To test the power supply, use a different one... When the problem goes away, whatever you just replaced, has got to be the problem. I was having the same issues with a POS Gateway's at work. The problem turned out to the a loose wire on the power switch in the case. Once I soldered it back on, it worked like a champ. (for a gateway anyway)