Question How do I throttle my GPU to 100%?

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
I recently bought a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 Ti, and I'm getting really frustrated that it keeps running at 30-40% utilization on low end games, causing low FPS. I say low end games because on higher end games, my gpu DOES throttle to 100% giving me much better FPS. But I dont want it to balance. I want my GPU to just straight up run at 100% on at least most games.

if your CPU isn't providing enough frames to the GPU for processing then it has no reason to run @ 100%.
it will utilize whatever data is provided to it.
there is nothing that will "make" your GPU core run @ 100% at all times except giving it data to process.

you need to list your complete system specs, the games that you are running, and the age of all of your components.

To be fair I wouldn't expect a Geforce 780Ti to perform well in modern "low end" or "high end" games.

A game like Minecraft which appears to be low end won't really use the GPU, but is heavily CPU bound.

An easy way to tell what the issue could be is to open the task manager while a game is in progress and see if the CPU, GPU or RAM is maxed out or close to maxing out.

To be fair I wouldn't expect a Geforce 780Ti to perform well in modern "low end" or "high end" games.

A game like Minecraft which appears to be low end won't really use the GPU, but is heavily CPU bound.

An easy way to tell what the issue could be is to open the task manager while a game is in progress and see if the CPU, GPU or RAM is maxed out or close to maxing out.
The only question is, just how weak a CPU would you need to bottleneck a card as old and weak as the GTX 780 Ti?

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
Run CineBench or 3DMark, that'll do it :)

Have you overclocked it? Throw up the voltage and clock speeds to get more out of it (in the reverse order of that, though .. add voltage to satisfy the higher clock speeds needs ofc until it's stable or it just produces unnecessary heat). MSI afterburner still works for all but the latest generation, no?

Run CineBench or 3DMark, that'll do it :)

Have you overclocked it? Throw up the voltage and clock speeds to get more out of it (in the reverse order of that, though .. add voltage to satisfy the higher clock speeds needs ofc until it's stable or it just produces unnecessary heat). MSI afterburner still works for all but the latest generation, no?
Overclocking a graphics card that may not be stable on a power supply with an 80+ certificate that also may not be stable is not best practices. lol

TRENDING THREADS