How do i transfer all my data from my laptop to my pc

Dundees

Reputable
Jun 30, 2020
This year i bought a gaming laptop for about $1100. A few months later i found out i sorta messed up. With that money i could build myself a good pc, with some good monitors and peripherals. So i'm thinking about selling my laptop. But lets say, i sell my laptop and i get my pc 2 months later. Is there a way for me to get my data from my laptop to my pc without my pc being there at that given time. Because a flashdrive probably wouldn't do the job.

USAFRet

Titan
This year i bought a gaming laptop for about $1100. A few months later i found out i sorta messed up. With that money i could build myself a good pc, with some good monitors and peripherals. So i'm thinking about selling my laptop. But lets say, i sell my laptop and i get my pc 2 months later. Is there a way for me to get my data from my laptop to my pc without my pc being there at that given time. Because a flashdrive probably wouldn't do the job.
Define "all my data".

USAFRet

Titan
Basically everything on it, games apps documents etc.
Right. And that won't work (mostly).
The new desktop will need its own fresh OS install. With that, you can't transfer your applications.
Games on the Steam and Origin platforms, yes.
But the OS, Steam client, all your other applications, etc...all that will be need to be reinstalled.

You'll probably even need a new Windows license. The one in the laptop almost certainly can't be transferred.

Dundees

Reputable
Jun 30, 2020
Right. And that won't work (mostly).
The new desktop will need its own fresh OS install. With that, you can't transfer your applications.
Games on the Steam and Origin platforms, yes.
But the OS, Steam client, all your other applications, etc...all that will be need to be reinstalled.

You'll probably even need a new Windows license. The one in the laptop almost certainly can't be transferred.
It's okay if i have to install a few apps and games but i'm worried a lot of documents etc. will get deleted

You should think a bit about selling your system, you will basically be throwing away 2-300 dollars when you resell it, even if it's pretty new and with a warranty you can transfer. So you spend 1100 on the laptop, sell it for say 900 if you are lucky and build a PC with that money, you just tore up two 100 bills. You won't built a "good" PC with monitors for that much, a decent monitor for gaming is about $200 for a higher refresh rate one. First look at what you want to build and consider how you feel if losing money for not thinking things through is worth it, or if you should just stick with your laptop. Or get a monitor to use with the laptop instead of selling it.