TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Several weeks ago, it was saying "Windows is activated with a digital license", now, it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

My question is, can i transfer the Windows 10 i have to another device, without having to buy another Windows 10?

Someone told me i can, someone else told me i can't, and i don't know who to believe.

I'm using a laptop. I didn't buy Windows 10 as a separate product i later installed, but as part of the laptop, meaning Windows 10 was pre-installed in the laptop i bought. The laptop and Windows 10 were ready to use.

Someone told me that if you buy a device (in my case, a laptop) with pre-installed, ready-to-use Windows 10, you can't transfer Windows 10 to another device, because pre-installed Windows means that the product key of the OS you have is part of the BIOS of your laptop, and this can't be changed, meaning you can't update your product key from "Digital" to "Retail", because the "Digital" version is hard-coded into the BIOS of your laptop.

Is this true? Can i transfer my Windows 10 os, or not? Can't i update (change) the product key?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
The is a laptop, and the Windows license came included?
That is just about the only instance where is can't be transferred to a different device.

Solution:
Sell the laptop with the license included.
Use those funds to purchase a new license for your new system.

If the license can't be changed, why do i still have the option to change it?

When i open Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation, i still have the lines saying "Update product key" and "To use a different product key on this device, select Change product key". When i select "Change product key", i successfully get the blue window where i should enter the new product key.

If i buy a Retail license, wouldn't it be successfully activated, if i enter the Retail code?

USAFRet

Titan
If the license can't be changed, why do i still have the option to change it?

When i open Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation, i still have the lines saying "Update product key" and "To use a different product key on this device, select Change product key". When i select "Change product key", i successfully get the blue window where i should enter the new product key.

If i buy a Retail license, wouldn't it be successfully activated, if i enter the Retail code?
You could purchase a different license...Win 10 Pro, for instance.
If you wanted the few extra features of Pro.

But you can't take that original license from the laptop, and apply it to some other system.

Reactions: TheFlash1300

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
You could purchase a different license...Win 10 Pro, for instance.
If you wanted the few extra features of Pro.

But you can't take that original license from the laptop, and apply it to some other system.
The Windows edition i use is Pro, version 21H2.

Yes, i know i can't transfer the original Digital license. But, what if i update it? I i buy a Retail license, and update my license from Digital to Retail, will my Windows 10 become transferrable?

Will entering Retail code replace the Digital license with Retail license, making the Windows 10 transferable?

Yes, i know i can't transfer the original Digital license. But, what if i update it? I i buy a Retail license, and update my license from Digital to Retail, will my Windows 10 become transferrable?

Will entering Retail code replace the Digital license with Retail license, making the Windows 10 transferable?

Hmmmm............

If you bought an entirely new "retail" license, why install it on the old machine at all?

There was a time that some licenses were overtly marketed as "retail", but I think that has gone by the wayside.

If you have one, it can be transferred to future machines at will.....as long as it's just one machine. Each separate machine requires a separate license for standard consumer use.

USAFRet

Titan

If you buy a new license, of whatever type...just apply that to the new system.

Why bother applying that to the current laptop, then moving it?

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
When I did an anytime upgrade of my OEM Win10 Home to Win10 Pro on my self-built PC using an old Windows 7 Pro key I had, I paired my digital licence during activation to my Microsoft account. Benefit of that is, should I ever change hardware to the extent it deems I need to reactivate, it should make the process easier. What was interesting was that doing the Anytime upgrade to 10 Pro using my old 7 Pro key, it also appeared to convert the licence from OEM to Retail.

You can open a command prompt (Start > run > cmd) then issue slmgr /dli -- a few seconds later a dialog will appear showing what flavour of Windows you have. The key is whether it says "RETAIL channel". If so, you can basically do as you wish as Lafong says. If it says OEM or volume, no such luck.

For example, mine says
Name: Windows(R), Professional edition
Description: Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel
Partial Product Key: xxxxx
License Status: Licensed