Question How do I trim my SSD in Windows 7?

asem1123

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
I recently replaced my laptop's hard drive with an SSD because I was tired of the unresponsiveness of the system. And since I cloned my HDD to the new SSD and deleted a lot of files, I wanted to trim the SSD so those deleted files get deleted and also because I routinely trim my SSDs once a week. But then the only option given is only "Analyze" and "Defragment" but no "Optimize" like in Windows 8 and above. I made sure that trim is enabled by running the fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify command on cmd and it showed "0," so surely it's on. Or maybe in Windows 7 it automatically detects the disk type and sends a TRIM command to an SSD even though the button still says defragment?

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10 only optimises a tiny part of the ssd, it doesn't defrag the entire drive. All it does is defrags the file system restore uses. It leaves the rest of the space management to the ssd itself.

I think ssd run trim without needing windows to tell them.

I wouldn't run defrag on an ssd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what brand ssd is it? some ssd makers have utilities you can use to force a trim. Samsung Magician does it, for instance.

seems optimise does order a trim command.

simply having it on seems to make the trim command run... there is no command to make it do it exactly when you want.

I recently replaced my laptop's hard drive with an SSD because I was tired of the unresponsiveness of the system. And since I cloned my HDD to the new SSD and deleted a lot of files, I wanted to trim the SSD so those deleted files get deleted and also because I routinely trim my SSDs once a week. But then the only option given is only "Analyze" and "Defragment" but no "Optimize" like in Windows 8 and above. I made sure that trim is enabled by running the fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify command on cmd and it showed "0," so surely it's on. Or maybe in Windows 7 it automatically detects the disk type and sends a TRIM command to an SSD even though the button still says defragment?
If it's not installed in AHCI mode, W7 may not recognize it as SSD and is showing Defragment insted of Optimize.

May 4, 2019
I have a W7 installation running on a WD Green 120GB SSD. It was a clone EASUS Todo backup from the original drive (after shrinking the image).

The W7 Disc Defragmenter does indeed do a disc fragmentation (Passes etc). It completes and reports 0% fragmented. The WD SSD Dashboard does have the Trim option, it runs, but it does NOT stay enabled when you close it and go back into it, Trim is NOT enabled.

The DisableDeleteNotify reports 0. DriveControllerInfo is showing Intel 5 Series 4 port SATA AHCI Controller running the drive.

I have disabled automatic defrag, but I'd really like to set Trim to work correctly as the end user of this laptop will not be running any form of maintenance themselves. Any ideas?