[SOLVED] How do I turn my old nvme into a cache drive

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I've just updated my C: drive to the ADATA SX8200 pro, but now want to turn my old Crucial NVME to a cache drive for my Storage Space or RAID 1
My mobo has the Intel® Z270 Chipset, the rest of the specs is in my signature for the intel system I have

I can't even find this after searching for the last few months

Solution
The NVME I want to turn into a cache is the Crucial P1 1 TB CT1000P1SSD8
To me, that is a total waste of a 1TB drive.

What would I do?
OS and applications on the new ADATA drive.
This 1TB P1 as the project drive, for things you are actively working on. When finished, move to the HDD.

And you can't use the entire 1TB space as a cache.

And you can't RAID 1 that with a 4TB HDD.
Well, you can, but you end up with a 1TB RAID 1 array, running at the blistering turtle speed of the HDD.

DSzymborski

Titan
I know what it is, its a duplicate of one hard drive to another. I don't see any sense in having three or four with different RAID configured. The parity bit drive is confusing me

RAID only make any sense for very specific uses, generally workstation things. For what reason do you want a RAID? Unless you're operating a shared server or editing very large video files constantly or running a storefront, there's pretty much nothing a RAID does that can't be done better otherwise.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
RAID only make any sense for very specific uses, generally workstation things. For what reason do you want a RAID? Unless you're operating a shared server or editing very large video files constantly or running a storefront, there's pretty much nothing a RAID does that can't be done better otherwise.

Correct, to make sure I don't lose a lot of valuable data. I know you can say that even RAID isn't perfect, but I do need a redundancy to make sure I don't lose that data. I have worked immensely hard to not want to lose it. But I don't get the parity protection. That seems like only for errors on hard drives once sectors get damaged, not for back up as most people assume

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 1 is good for one thing...system uptime.
It only protects against data loss in the case of a physical drive fail.
For instance, if you're hosting a webstore, and downtime might mean loss sales and $$.

It does nothing for all the other forms of data loss. Accidental deletion, corruption, virus, malware, "oops..."

The user and OS sees but one "copy" of the data.

A good backup routine protects against all that.

And you can't RAID 1 a 4TB HDD and an SSD.
Doesn't work like that.

And we still don't know the sizes of these SSD's.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
RAID 1 is good for one thing...system uptime.
It only protects against data loss in the case of a physical drive fail.
For instance, if you're hosting a webstore, and downtime might mean loss sales and $$.

It does nothing for all the other forms of data loss. Accidental deletion, corruption, virus, malware, "oops..."

The user and OS sees but one "copy" of the data.

A good backup routine protects against all that.

And you can't RAID 1 a 4TB HDD and an SSD.
Doesn't work like that.

And we still don't know the sizes of these SSD's.

But I did ask a different question, not what is the best RAID system

USAFRet

Titan
But I did ask a different question, not what is the best RAID system
And to know IF a RAID 1 can be done, the make/model of all drives involved needs to be known.
Does no good to give instructions on How to do it, if you can't do it anyway.

For instance...a 250GB SSD + 4TB HDD - RAID 1 is completely out of the question. Or RAID of any type.

Same goes for the 'cache' thought.
A 250GB SSD as a cache for a 4TB HDD might be a total waste of the SSD.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
And to know IF a RAID 1 can be done, the make/model of all drives involved needs to be known.
Does no good to give instructions on How to do it, if you can't do it anyway.

For instance...a 250GB SSD + 4TB HDD - RAID 1 is completely out of the question. Or RAID of any type.

Same goes for the 'cache' thought.
A 250GB SSD as a cache for a 4TB HDD might be a total waste of the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
To me, that is a total waste of a 1TB drive.

What would I do?
OS and applications on the new ADATA drive.
This 1TB P1 as the project drive, for things you are actively working on. When finished, move to the HDD.

And you can't use the entire 1TB space as a cache.

And you can't RAID 1 that with a 4TB HDD.
Well, you can, but you end up with a 1TB RAID 1 array, running at the blistering turtle speed of the HDD.

Reactions: RyzenNoob
Solution

TRENDING THREADS