[SOLVED] How do I turn my router into repeater with only AP mode?

Sep 4, 2021
I have two routers, the main router (ASUS RT-AC66U B1 ) is connected to the internet from ISP and the second one in my room (ASUS RT-AC1200G+) is connect to the main router via ethernet cable.
I have already set up WIFI SSIDs for the main router, if I want my second router to repeat the same WIFI how can I achieve this?

The problem is that my second router model does not support repeater mode, and only have AP mode.
If I setup as AP mode It would ask me to create new SSID WIFI instead of using the main one.

fLc6Qg1.jpg

Solution
You can set the SSID the same when you run in AP mode. I would actually recommend against it. End device are really stupid they many times will not always connect to the best signal when the SSID are the same. If they are different you can force it to connect where you want.

In either case the network itself is all the same no matter what name (ie SSID) you call it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to read through this thread;

Why don't you have the second router set to wireless router mode? That way you have the second router as it's own hotspot. You're tethered to the main router/ISP via Ethernet as it stands. On second thoughts, what's the distance between the first and second router?

Are both routers on the latest firmware?

Reactions: TaticalBananaHolder
Sep 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to read through this thread;

Why don't you have the second router set to wireless router mode? That way you have the second router as it's own hotspot. You're tethered to the main router/ISP via Ethernet as it stands. On second thoughts, what's the distance between the first and second router?

Are both routers on the latest firmware?
Thanks! I actually have read this very post before posting. The thing is if I set up my 2nd router as wireless default mode/ AP mode, then I would have created new SSIDs instead of having the same ones as the main router.
My routers are not far apart (living room to my own room on the same floor), I only want to use it as a signal extend to resolve some dead spots.

You can set the SSID the same when you run in AP mode. I would actually recommend against it. End device are really stupid they many times will not always connect to the best signal when the SSID are the same. If they are different you can force it to connect where you want.

In either case the network itself is all the same no matter what name (ie SSID) you call it.

Reactions: TaticalBananaHolder
Solution
Sep 4, 2021

Thanks! That's what I would probably go for, maybe with different SSID this way I could also easily see which router my device is connected to.

williamsro119

Prominent
May 18, 2020
1921681250.online
First - Locate the wifi repeater device settings on the admin page.
Second- Enable/change as appropriate –
Third- Check the drop-down menu to select your router's mode or a checkbox selected.
Forth- In the wireless or wifi repeater settings, leave it set to access point mode.
Also, read - repeater.asus.com
You can easily find the solution.