[SOLVED] How do I turn off Firefox needing Windows credentials to export passwords? Happens in Chrome too, so I think it's a Windows issue.

Dec 2, 2021
So, I think this may be a Windows thing because it happens in Chrome too. Every few months I like to export my passwords and bookmarks to a portable SSD just to have backed up. Now, when I go to export my passwords into an Excel file, it asks for my Windows login credentials. I 100% know my Windows credentials and can log into microsoft.com or any microsoft website fine. When I type them into Firefox, it says incorrect. It's dumb, because it used to have my Microsoft email populated and would just ask for the PIN I used to log into Windows from boot, but that's gone now.

I even went to CMD and typed whoami and used that since that's my “Windows name” instead of my username or email address associated with Windows, and used my windows password and IT STILL said incorrect.
Please, how do I temporarily disable this feature or change it from needing my Windows password to my code to actually let me into Windows once my PC boots at the default image (Yes, I tried the code with all usernames too, no luck).

I mean I can access my passwords in Firefox and Chrome so I hope there is a fix or a way to turn this feature off otherwise it looks like I'm manually putting several hundred into Excel lol.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
If you're doing this to keep a backup to import later, you can copy the folders
  • C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Mozilla
  • C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla
This copies the user profile on Firefox, which essentially is the state the browser is in. Importing at a later time is as easy as putting the folders back in those directories; though do this before launching Firefox for the first time if you had to reinstall Windows or are using a new system.

If you're doing this to keep your logins somewhere you can refer to, I highly recommend using a login manager system like KeePass, 1Password, or LastPass.
This copies the user profile on Firefox, which essentially is the state the browser is in. Importing at a later time is as easy as putting the folders back in those directories; though do this before launching Firefox for the first time if you had to reinstall Windows or are using a new system.

If you're doing this to keep your logins somewhere you can refer to, I highly recommend using a login manager system like KeePass, 1Password, or LastPass.

Solution
Dec 2, 2021

Thanks. I use Firefox Lockwise but I read recently on Reddit that it is being decommissioned. Although I don't know if that means it will stop working and syncing or it just won't be available on the Play Store anymore. I also heard Bitwarden is very secure also. Thanks for your suggestions.