How do I turn the power icon baCK ON, ON AN hp pAVILION RUNNING WINDOWS 10? tHE ICON DISAPPEARED AFTER A WINDOWS UPGRADE, BUT

wolfganger

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
The power icon disappeared after Windows barged ij and did one of their security upgrades. When I go find the on-off power button selector, it is now colored grey and cannot be toggled in any direction. Result: there is no power icun and I cannot tell the extent of power drain when running without a cord. This is most annoying. Any ideas?

Solution
Hi, try to open Task Manager (right click on taskbar and open it), then find Windows Explorer. Right click on Windows Explorer and choose Restart. Then go back into Settings and try again to see if the Power slider is enabled or not.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, try to open Task Manager (right click on taskbar and open it), then find Windows Explorer. Right click on Windows Explorer and choose Restart. Then go back into Settings and try again to see if the Power slider is enabled or not.

Solution

wolfganger

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
The gardenman solution worked like a charm. The only downside was that it also vacated all the open tabs on Google Chrome. I had some 530 open tabs and had to pull them from the history box to reload which took a few hours. But at least the icon is back up and running! It was the Reset that did the trick. Cheers!

wolfganger

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

I suspect I simply overloaded the RAM on the machine. It has some 11 GB of RAM, and I was using every bit of it. I removed some 100 open tabs and now the machine is running much better. Gotta get the balance sorted and copied into folders! anyway, thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.
Cheers,
Jan van Eck in Connecticut