[SOLVED] How do I undervolt with a b450 tomahawk max?

chocomintmichael

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Hi! I have a 3700x and live in a hot area, so temps goes up to 85c while stress testing and 82c while gaming which I don't really mind per se but the fans are annoying. I heard that undervolting can help with temps but I have no clue how to do it on an MSI board.

Appreciate any help I can get on this.

Solution
Hi! I have a 3700x and live in a hot area, so temps goes up to 85c while stress testing and 82c while gaming which I don't really mind per se but the fans are annoying. I heard that undervolting can help with temps but I have no clue how to do it on an MSI board.

If your local summer time temperature is hot then better cooling becomes imperative. But short of that you can help with the fan noise, at least for temps short of the 70's, by setting a custom fan curve that ignores temp spikes below that temperature. Just set a flat fan profile at a tolerable speed up to about 70 for all the fans.

But do not undervolt Ryzen in an attempt to control temperature, especially when there's a much...

If your local summer time temperature is hot then better cooling becomes imperative. But short of that you can help with the fan noise, at least for temps short of the 70's, by setting a custom fan curve that ignores temp spikes below that temperature. Just set a flat fan profile at a tolerable speed up to about 70 for all the fans.

But do not undervolt Ryzen in an attempt to control temperature, especially when there's a much better way to do it that won't arbitrarily kill performance when it's running at low temperatures. Look for a setting called Platform Thermal Limit and set that to something like 80C or so. In an MSI motherboard it will be in the Overclocking section, in Advanced CPU settings. You may have to Enable PBO, set it to Manual but don't change any other settings and it won't do anything.

When it gets to the new temperature limit it will just pull back on CPU frequency and voltage to keep the CPU under that limit. But short of that temperature the CPU still gives you full performance.

Solution

chocomintmichael

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Using negative voltage offset of 0.05 -0.1v is perfectly fine without loosing performance, might even gain some because it should run cooler.
n6ii9nM.png

is this right? Do I need to mess with anything else? Oh and I didnt save this cause 0.1v was making my pc bsod when I tried to boot

Jun 24, 2020
Hey I'm experiencing the same issue with a 3600 and I think a combo of these solutions might work but I don't know enough.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29789867 for specs.

I'm idling at 65C, when I load NFS: Heat I hit the thermal limit and it shut off last night which is what got me investigating.

I'm running default everything, I've changed Windows Power Saver to 10% instead of 99% min, I cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, I'm using Ryzen Master for the temps, and nothing has gotten it any lower. I found this thread and I tried undervolting by 0.05, and it went down about 5 deg. Then I tried the BIOS Throttle. That being said, I don't know which option is better. I think 0.1 might be enough to get it to idle in the 40s instead of 50s, but I don't know if setting that permanently is better than just having it throttle at 80 degrees? The issue with throttling at 80 is that in NFS: Heat which I just tried, I was able to successfully play but at what cost? It was sitting at 80 deg the entire time and I have no idea what it's doing in order to keep me there since I know it would exceed 100C+ if it could.