Question How do i unlock an External Hard drive that used to be in a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
I used to use my PC but have to disassemble it because i was moving to a new apartment. Because of that, i got myself an external HDD reader, where you basically plug in your HDD, and you could open the files in your laptop for example.

It's all going fine and dandy until it told me that i need permission to open the folder, where if i were to click it, it would just load indefinitely.

My theory is that this was caused by me putting password to access my PC, and now my HDD is still protected by the said password. I know my password of course, but there is no option to input my password, only to open it using the administrator setting of my laptop, which has a different password altogether with my PC. (And maybe different admin? I'm not very knowledgeable with PC stuff)

So while i could access some of the files, i cannot access the files that are in my HDD Users folder, which is where almost of my data are. And since i cant really built my PC back right now, does anyone know how to access the said HDD in my laptop? Do i need to download some application or is there a way to access it.

If there are any questions, i could perhaps clarify.

USAFRet

Titan
The files/folders in the /Users/ folder are tied to the original User account that existed in the old system.

You need to Take Ownership of that data.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
The files/folders in the /Users/ folder are tied to the original User account that existed in the old system.

You need to Take Ownership of that data.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html
So i tried what the website told me to do and tried to take ownership. Now the cmd program seems to be giving me ownership one by one for every single data? Is that what it's supposed to do and am i doing the right thing? If it is, should i just wait till it gives me the permission for all the datas? Because i have hundred of gigabytes of data in my HDD, and it might take a while.

It's not the size of the data, it's the number of individual files that dictates how long as each one has to be tagged with the new permissions. With that much data there's likely 100's of thousands of individual files. It could conceivably take several hours. Especially if the drive is connected via USB.

i know about mass permission takeover (since windows XP era), which still works in win10
but dunno if its allowed to post here? few days ago i posted it when somebody wanted wipe old windows from drive, and people were telling him to backup data and format drive as the only solution o_O....well mine post got deleted :D so dunno

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
No idea how long that might take, because I've not had to do it at that level.
So i have leave it for a whole day now, and for some reason there is this file that has been opening for so long called Appdata/Local/SysHashTable

There's just a lot of random gibberish and it has been giving me permission of this since yesterday. Do you know what this is? Is this perhaps a virus or a malware? My little brother is also using the PC back before i moved out, so is this perhaps related?

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
It's not the size of the data, it's the number of individual files that dictates how long as each one has to be tagged with the new permissions. With that much data there's likely 100's of thousands of individual files. It could conceivably take several hours. Especially if the drive is connected via USB.
It's still giving me permission of a data called Syshashtable since yesterday though. Is this perhaps some weird virus or are there just that many files?

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
i know about mass permission takeover (since windows XP era), which still works in win10
but dunno if its allowed to post here? few days ago i posted it when somebody wanted wipe old windows from drive, and people were telling him to backup data and format drive as the only solution o_O....well mine post got deleted :D so dunno
If there really is a way, that would be really helpful if you could help! It's taking a whole day already, i leave my laptop on overnight and it is still not finished.

ISTM that the tenforums registry modification executes the Takeown command to change ownership of each file in the specified directory and all its subdirectories. It then follows this with an Icacls command to add full access rights for the Administrator. Both commands recurse through the subdirectories. Wouldn't it be quicker to use a single Icacls command to grant full access rights to the current user?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/icacls

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/takeown

If the files were granted administrator permissions in system #1, would the administrator in system #2 inherit those same permissions, or are the two administrators seen as distinct entities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS