How do I Update my BIOS with a new driver in a CAP file format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainsky

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hi,

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro MB and I visited the driver download page and found that there had been an update to my BIOS, so I downloaded the driver and unzipped. It is in a format that I do not recognize and neither does my operating system. It is a CAP file. Would someone explain to me how I would install the CAP file to update my BIOS?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi,

Download the 1908 file from the ASUS site. Unzip and after that rename the resulted file to Z77VP.CAP.

Format a USB drive (FAT or FAT 32 format)
Save the Z77VP.CAP on the FAT formatted USB drive.

Plug the USB drive in the Flashback USB port (the one near the grey audio port). Don't start the board. Just make sure that the power supply is ON. Press the Flashback button (you have to open the case, as the button is located on the motherboard -bottom side, labeled as BIOS_FLBK) for 3 seconds. The FLBK led will begin to flash. Wait until the process finishes.

Method 2: Use EZ Flash in BIOS. Follow the steps from Method 1 (Flashback) for renaming and saving the file. Plug the USB drive into a USB 2.0 port. Enter BIOS, open EZ Flash...
First rule of BIOS updates, if everything runs fine and the BIOS doesn't fix a problem or add something that you need, don't bother flashing it. Every BIOS flash can toast a system. Granted, some newer PC's have dual BIOS's and such and can recovery, but not always.

If you insist on doing it, read your manual to read how to do it. Every motherboard is different. Some have a flash button, some flash from Windows, some flash direct from USB, some flash from a floppy or USB with DOS. Million different ways and it's your motherboard, so read up on how to use it.

Asus cap files when you download them have a small renamer program in the zip file. You have to run it first on look on asus web page for there bios renaming guild. It be under the mb doc download page. You run the renamer and when it done copy the cap file to a USB stick. In the asus bios there an updater built it. You have to search for the renamed file then run it. Some asus mb have a USB flashback port and button. Put the USB stick in the port with the power off and press the flash back button. You see the mb flash back port light up and blink.

Extract & move (CAP file) on a usb drive.

USB BIOS Flashback

Simple Plug & Press - Hardware-based BIOS Flashback
A truly revolutionary hardware-based update solution. USB BIOS Flashback offers the most convenient way ever to update the BIOS! It allows users to update new UEFI BIOS versions even without hardware such as a CPU or DRAM installed into the motherboard. Just plug in a USB flash drive containing the BIOS file, and press the BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds with the power supply connected. The UEFI BIOS will then automatically update without requiring further interaction. With its new, complementary Windows application, users can regularly check for UEFI BIOS updates and download the latest BIOS automatically. Hassle-free updating for the ultimate convenience!
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PRO/

captainsky

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Hello ur6beersaway,

Thank you all for your explanations on my BIOS issue. I followed the ASUS link and reviewed the latest downloads for the BIOS and BIOS Utilities. I copied the description of the latest updates and I will paste them below. Someone else wrote to my question that when dealing with the BIOS if everything is working okay than it is perhaps better to NOT install a newer BIOS update? How do you feel or anyone else feel about this approach of not updating the BIOS?

These are the two latest updates and the description of what they do:
BIOS Update [04.12.2013]
Description: P8Z77-V PRO BIOS 1908
1.Fixed Power On By RTC function failed.
2.Fixed F8 function is abnormal under fastboot
3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

BIOS Utilities [11.08.2012]
Description: Bios Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback
1.Put Bios file and Bios renamer in same folder
2.Execute the Utility
3.Use new Bios file for USB BIOS Flashback.

I have never done a USB BIOS Flashback update. You wrote that I simply need to plug in a USB flash drive containing the BIOS file, but it seems that I also need to include the BIOS renamer file too? Since the BIOS renamer is an .exe file, should I attempt to install it directly from my desktop, or is that bad? Does the flash drive have to contain only this BIOS update or can the flash drive contain other items like movies, etc? I am asking because all two of my flash drives have stuff on them but it would be easy enough to transfer stuff to my computer temporarily if necessary. But if I do not need to do that then all the easier.

I also want to know about the BIOS renamer .exe program. As I understand it from another post, I need to execute the BIOS renamer first from my computer and then I would attempt to install the BIOS CAP file that I would place on a flash drive. BTW, what is the BIOS Flashback button that I am supposed to press down on for three seconds? Does this BIOS update happen automatically if I have a flash drive with the CAP file plugged into the computer and then I restart my computer? Will it be recognized by the computer or more likely I probably need to do something?

Further clarification is needed and appreciated. Thanks.

I have a asus board and upgraded the bois every time it comes out as I have FM-2 and this was very new at the time (about 4 times) while ANY flash has risk I've never had a problem and the risk for me is low & acceptable. I like to be current as a change log just lists highlights and not all new code & instructions. Renamer prog? Let's not re-invent the wheel asus has made it too simple maybe. There is a first time for everything & soon you will get comfortable flashing anything. Let us kno how it goes.

captainsky

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

I am all for not reinventing the wheel if is not necessary. And, yes, there is a first time for everything and I am not too fearful of updating my BIOS but I want to go into the procedure knowing what I am doing. You did not answer my question about the BIOS Flashback button that I need to hold down for three seconds. Where is this button located? Be specific.

As for whether the flash drive should only contain the CAP file, I am going to assume that it is preferable to have nothing but the CAP file on the USB flash drive because, as I understand from your last post, I do NOT need to include the BIOS renamer utility on the flash drive with the CAP file, is that correct?

If you could enlighten me on the questions above then I am all for moving ahead and updating my BIOS. I look forward to your insight on this issue. Thanks again!

Hi,

Download the 1908 file from the ASUS site. Unzip and after that rename the resulted file to Z77VP.CAP.

Format a USB drive (FAT or FAT 32 format)
Save the Z77VP.CAP on the FAT formatted USB drive.

Plug the USB drive in the Flashback USB port (the one near the grey audio port). Don't start the board. Just make sure that the power supply is ON. Press the Flashback button (you have to open the case, as the button is located on the motherboard -bottom side, labeled as BIOS_FLBK) for 3 seconds. The FLBK led will begin to flash. Wait until the process finishes.

Method 2: Use EZ Flash in BIOS. Follow the steps from Method 1 (Flashback) for renaming and saving the file. Plug the USB drive into a USB 2.0 port. Enter BIOS, open EZ Flash and follow the EZ Flash instructions.

All these methods are described in the motherboard's manual.

As mentioned already, if the system runs without issues, don't update the BIOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.