Question How do I update the BIOS of a B450 motherboard when using a Ryzen 3000-series CPU? Do I need an older CPU?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
3rd-gen AMD Ryzen has Zen 2 Architecture, which is immune to both Meltdown and Spectre. But I cannot afford them due to the price, I need to get the previous models to keep the costs. I'm really on a tight budget right now. Besides, I don't think there's any mobos that support the upcoming CPU, so I might wait for an update/ new mobo.

However, I'd get exposed to security threats if I stick with the 2nd gen/1st gen Ryzen. Although that's only 9% on AMD CPUs...

Someone said Ryzen 3000 series should work on B450 and (maybe B350) mobos. But I need an update.

How do I update the BIOS? If I'm going to to do that, I need an older CPU in place. The new CPUs don't even work without an update. But that's gonna cost even more money. I don't have anything like that.

I'm saying this because I'm building a computer out from a scratch. If I already had my computer built, would I say something like this?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Stick to 1 thread
3rd-gen AMD Ryzen has Zen 2 Architecture, which is immune to both Meltdown and Spectre. But I cannot afford them due to the price, I need to get the previous models to keep the costs. I'm really on a tight budget right now. Besides, I don't think there's any mobos that support the upcoming CPU, so I might wait for an update/ new mobo.

However, I'd get exposed to security threats if I stick with the 2nd gen/1st gen Ryzen. Although that's only 9% on AMD CPUs...

Someone said Ryzen 3000 series should work on B450 and (maybe B350) mobos. But I need an update.

How do I update the BIOS? If I'm going to to do that, I need an older CPU in place. The new CPUs don't even work without an update. But that's gonna cost even more money. I don't have anything like that.

I'm saying this because I'm building a computer out from a scratch. If I already had my computer built, would I say something like this?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
All Ryzen CPUs are immune to meltdown, and Ryzen 1/2 have reduced vulnerability to spectre compared to Intel. The vulnerability they do have is addressed through firmware/OS patches.

If you get a B450 mobo and want to buy a Ryzen 3k, you can either make sure to get one with a proper BIOS (check with the retailer or look for a "ready for Ryzen 3000" sticker on the box), bring it to a computer shop/retailer and have them update it for you, or you can update yourself if you get a motherboard that has the flashback feature.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
There are motherboards like the msi b450 gaming plus like i have that comes with a bios flashback button which let you update bios without cpu/ram(i think cant remember lol)etc.Usually it's a high end feature but msi had put it on there lower end motherboards as well.

Most manufacturers already released BIOS versions compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen, I imagine that 400 series chipset MBs will be soon selling with such BIOS from factory. (something like with 300 chipset MBs and 2nd gen).
All 400 chipset MBs are compatible with 2nd gen Ryzen so I would stick to them as 300 are most probably going to be phased out if not already.
Except for some questionable finds, security threats are largely limited to Intel CPUs and even that has been mitigated by microcode and W10 updates.
So yes, if you buy B450 MB now it will need an earlier Ryzen or APU to update unless of course such MB has button to update BIOS without CPU inserted.
I also expect that stores will be willing to update BIOS for you, just as was happening with 300 series chipsets and 2nd gen Ryzen.
Unless you already have it or can get it for next to nothing, there's no reason to even consider b350 MBs for several reasons not least being compatibility with fast RAM and dubious willing of manufacturers to provide BIOS and drivers for 3rd gen Ryzen.

TRENDING THREADS