[SOLVED] How do I upgrade from A6-7400k to Athlon X4 880k?

Solution
I am assuming your motherboard supports both.
The motherboard may or may not need a BIOS upgrade.
I'd go to the website and look. It will tell you in the CPU support section which BIOS you need to use for the new CPU. If you already are running it....then you don't have to upgrade.

After that it's just a matter of removing the cooler, swapping CPUs, replacing the paste and the cooler and you should be good to go.

The only other thing is...the new CPU can pull 30 more watts. Most likely this won't put you over the top of what your PSU can deliver....but it could....so this is something to watch out for. Being I don't know your PSU I can't say.
I am assuming your motherboard supports both.
The motherboard may or may not need a BIOS upgrade.
I'd go to the website and look. It will tell you in the CPU support section which BIOS you need to use for the new CPU. If you already are running it....then you don't have to upgrade.

After that it's just a matter of removing the cooler, swapping CPUs, replacing the paste and the cooler and you should be good to go.

The only other thing is...the new CPU can pull 30 more watts. Most likely this won't put you over the top of what your PSU can deliver....but it could....so this is something to watch out for. Being I don't know your PSU I can't say.

Solution

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019
Whats your full system specs? Also, what are you planning to do with your computer? But since they are the same socket your MOBO will more than likely support it. But it is also a matter of the bios stated earlier, theese chips are two years apart, so very possible you will need to update your BIOS before installation. But see here for a guide on the actual process to replace them. https://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-New-Processor

Jun 29, 2018

Hardware:
PSU: 500w EVGA
CPU: AMD A6-7400K
Motherboard: Biostar A58ML
RAM: 8gb DDR3 Duel Channel
GPU: GT 1030 2gb GDDR5

I really hope I don't need a bios upgrade. That would be a hastle

Jun 29, 2018

Hardware:
PSU: 500w EVGA
CPU: AMD A6-7400K
Motherboard: Biostar A58ML
RAM: 8gb DDR3 Duel Channel
GPU: GT 1030 2gb GDDR5

BIOS update is about a 3 minute job with any system that has a BIOS update you can run in Windows.