leematthews

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I just put together a PC with a Phenom II 810 with an AM3 socket. That means I have a 64-bit PC, right?

Well, I have 32-bit Vista Home Premium installed...Is there a way for me to upgrade to 64-bit in the cheapest way possible (like a download or CD or DVD image from MSFT)??

skodabenz

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
You can definitely use your current 32-bit product key to install 64-bit Vista as long as you are installing the same edition ( 64-bit Home Premium instead of 32-bit Home Premium, not like using 32-bit Home Premium produck key for 64-bit ultimate etc..). It is a myth that you should buy a new Vista license for 64-bit. The product key is tied to the edition of Vista (Ultimate, Home Premium etc.) but certainly not to 32 or 64-bit. In any computer with which Vista came pre-installed, the Certificate of Authenticity makes no mention of any *-bit. You can check of any company. I myself have installed 64-bit Vista in 2 laptops after using 32-bit one for nearly 1 and 1/2 years with regular updates from Microsoft. I reformatted it and installed 64-bit Vista activating it using my previous key and it got activated without any issues.

You should completely format your 32-bit Windows befora installing 64-bit. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions cannot coexist in the same computer as a Dual boot. You have to decide - either 32 or 64, either this or that, not both. Additionally this site will help you more http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

You can definitely use your 32bit key.

Just back up all of your data - You can't "Upgrade" from 32 to 64 bit. It must be a clean installation.