[SOLVED] how do I upload to FTP server from another PC

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
so I recently set up an FTP server running on my desktop so I can access files on my laptop elsewhere. I have absolutely no knowledge or experience with networking and had to use youtube tutorials. I'm just wondering if it's possible to upload files from my laptop to the FTP server on my desktop because it seems to be only 1 way. I'm using windows 10.

Solution
FTP is not secure. The userid and passwords are sent in the clear and you can intercept them. Although it is not very likely someone will attack you it is best if you use something else to do this function. If you really want to use FTP there is SFTP but other methods are easier to implement.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
hopefully you have some sort of security on it requiring a log in to use the server. you'll need to log into the pc from the laptop using an ftp client. once there if you have set the permissions so you can upload, all you'll have to do is copy and paste to the server.

so you'll need an ftp client to log in with and the right permissions set to allow the laptop to actually upload. there's your next search topics :)

this is a great way to learn about these various topics by actually doing it yourself. plenty of tutorials out there to follow but learning what you're actually doing is the real fun of the project.

Reactions: Ian_64

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
yeah I have it so only a certain user with the right password can use it. Not sure what you mean by an FTP client though. I can access it by typing the IP into the search bar following "ftp://"
I've used the server and downloaded to my laptop.

hopefully you have some sort of security on it requiring a log in to use the server. you'll need to log into the pc from the laptop using an ftp client. once there if you have set the permissions so you can upload, all you'll have to do is copy and paste to the server.

so you'll need an ftp client to log in with and the right permissions set to allow the laptop to actually upload. there's your next search topics :)

this is a great way to learn about these various topics by actually doing it yourself. plenty of tutorials out there to follow but learning what you're actually doing is the real fun of the project.

If your idea for FTP server was to be able to access your desktop files from everywhere (outside your home), FTP server is not the best choice. Setting up your router to properly and securely forward FTP protocol can be tricky, to say the least.

For me, the easiest way is to install and configure OneDrive on your desktop, and configure it for remote access.

FTP is not secure. The userid and passwords are sent in the clear and you can intercept them. Although it is not very likely someone will attack you it is best if you use something else to do this function. If you really want to use FTP there is SFTP but other methods are easier to implement.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS