Question How do I use a SATA blu ray drive in a PATA laptop?

May 16, 2024
This seems dumb to be attempting on this old junk, but I have a Getac toughbook I like messing with from time to time, and i thought it would be cool to upgrade the disc drive. Turns out the weird adapter that seemingly every laptop needs to use is meant to accept PATA and the new drive is SATA. Anything short of reverse engineering the adapter, somehow splicing a SATA to PATA adapter in there, and having that made by pcbway or something; I can't see an easy way to get this done. If anyone wants pictures, I can provide some for the adapter, but I'm running late for work as it is.

kanewolf

Titan
This seems dumb to be attempting on this old junk, but I have a Getac toughbook I like messing with from time to time, and i thought it would be cool to upgrade the disc drive. Turns out the weird adapter that seemingly every laptop needs to use is meant to accept PATA and the new drive is SATA. Anything short of reverse engineering the adapter, somehow splicing a SATA to PATA adapter in there, and having that made by pcbway or something; I can't see an easy way to get this done. If anyone wants pictures, I can provide some for the adapter, but I'm running late for work as it is.
USB to SATA adapter that supports optical drives.

It would depend on the dimensions of the blu-ray drive and the type and number of usb ports on the laptop. The model number and specs of the drive might help. For drives that are not too deep (like the LG WH16NS60 full height drive I have) I use the OWC adapter case since it has its own power supply. I also have an LG BP60NB10 portable drive but that requires 2 usb type A jacks for power.