How do I use/access/find my HDD?

Will_32

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
So I just built a gaming PC for myself for the first time, running amazing and I installed Windows on my 250GB SSD, I had the option to also install Windows on the HDD but obviously chose the SSD so i'm sure It's all connected fine and I had no hiccups with the PC so I'm quite confident everything hooked up correctly.

But now that I'm using the PC I've just noticed that I can't install any steam games to my HDD and in the "this PC" section (Windows 10) the only storage option I can find are my local disk C which is my SSD and my 32GB USB, I can't see the HDD or any trace of it how do I start using the HDD since it isn't the default?

For anyone wondering my HDD is a 2TB Seagate and the SSD is a samsung 850 evo 250gb

Solution
If this is a new, never been used drive, then you need to partition it. Go into Disk Management and find the drive at the bottom, right-click it and make a New Simple Volume and follow the prompts. Then format the partition.

Will_32

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Thank you :)

So you got it all sorted then?

Will_32

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Yep, exactly what you said, hard drive just needed to be ' partitioned' never building a PC before I assumed it would just show up :)

Yes, all new drives need to be partitioned. The reason they don't come partitioned is because you could install that drive in a device (not necessarily a PC) which has a different file system / partition structure than Windows uses. For instance a Mac or a PC running Linux. Therefore it is up to the installer to partition the drive for it's intended usage.

TRENDING THREADS