[SOLVED] How do I use bandwidth control?

Sep 10, 2018
Hi everyone.

How do I properly use bandwidth control? (router settings)

I basically want my PC (connected via ethernet) to be #1 priority, and rest devices connected to the internet to be secondary. Right now if I play a game online and I watch a video on YouTube at 1080p sing my mobile phone then ping rises around 20-40ms for a bit.

How do I limit those devices so they don't affect internet used by this PC?

I also tried adding certain applications e.g GTA 5, but it asks me for destination and source ports, plus protocol TCP/UDP which I don't know what it is exactly. Could someone help me please?

Here are some pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/hpbHE60
View: https://imgur.com/a/pN8vcJa

Thanks a lot in advance. I got Huawei HA-35 by the way.

Solution
Pretty much you don't worry about the application just set it to favor all traffic from your PC by ip address.

Still this will not fix your problem. You need a much more advanced for of QoS to even partially mitigate issues. Even the best ones can only do so much especially when you have a very low bandwidth internet. Routers with worthless QoS like yours are extremely common but they are pretty much just marketing tools used to sell to people that don't want to take the time to learn all the details.

The router you have really can only do stuff with upload traffic. The problem you describe is related to download traffic....ie you are transferring large amounts of video from youtube servers to your house. If you had...
Pretty much you don't worry about the application just set it to favor all traffic from your PC by ip address.

Still this will not fix your problem. You need a much more advanced for of QoS to even partially mitigate issues. Even the best ones can only do so much especially when you have a very low bandwidth internet. Routers with worthless QoS like yours are extremely common but they are pretty much just marketing tools used to sell to people that don't want to take the time to learn all the details.

The router you have really can only do stuff with upload traffic. The problem you describe is related to download traffic....ie you are transferring large amounts of video from youtube servers to your house. If you had said your problem was your game got issues when you backed up files to the cloud that your router has some very limited ability to fix.

Your only real option is to buy a different router. All it will do though is cause the youtube stream to stall and buffer rather than your game. It does not actually fix the problem of not enough bandwidth.

Solution
Sep 10, 2018

The router you have really can only do stuff with upload traffic. The problem you describe is related to download traffic....ie you are transferring large amounts of video from youtube servers to your house. If you had said your problem was your game got issues when you backed up files to the cloud that your router has some very limited ability to fix.

Your only real option is to buy a different router. All it will do though is cause the youtube stream to stall and buffer rather than your game. It does not actually fix the problem of not enough bandwidth.

My download speed is pretty bad, around 50mbps, however if only 10mbps is used by this PC (considering it doesn't go below that) then I am fine. I also don't mind if youtube stream is buffering, only thing I want is on this PC internet to be very stable and not affected by other devices.

I am not familiar with the current router you have so I can't say what router will replace it. I am guessing it is a DSL router but with a 50mbps it might be VDSL. You need to check your ISP requirements for routers they say will work.

TPLINK and Asus routers have fairly advanced QoS. You want one that you can set the minimum and maximum bandwidth both upload and download.

You are going to be somewhat limited in your choice if the router is DSL based. If you have some other modem in front of it then there are many more routers.