Question How do I use my Nvidia GPU for games through the iGPU port on the motherboard?

aristomuy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Intel HD 4600 and Nvidia GTX 960.
I would like to have my display connected to the motherboard HDMI port and utilize the graphics card when I'm running games.

The reason I want to do this is so I can use the Intel graphics for another OS and still be able to game in windows without switching the cable.

In windows I have tried running a game (Mafia 3) and it uses the GPU the display is connected to, but if I start the game and then switch the cable to the Intel HDMI port it continues to run smoothly. How can I make this the default? How do I know which GPU an application is using?

Last edited:

aristomuy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Again...details needed.
Please give us a full description of you're actually doing. Including what OS's.
What I am trying to accomplish is something that is standard on most laptops with discrete graphics but for power saving. I'm trying to do it for compatibility so I can game on windows and do other things on MacOS. There is no driver for the GTX 960 on Mojave

Oh no, don't bring up Hackintosh here... Not to a moderator...
It can be possible to send your GPUs output through the IGPU in windows, however, It will hit performance. This might not even be possible in MacOS, and I don't know of a way.
Id just switch the HDMI cord manually or use an HDMI switch it is the easiest solution.
This should work:https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-...t=&hvlocphy=9006686&hvtargid=pla-571904726118

Last edited:

aristomuy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Oh no, don't bring up Hackintosh here... Not to a moderator...
It can be possible to send your GPUs output through the IGPU in windows, however, It will hit performance. This might not even be possible in MacOS, and I don't know of a way.
Id just switch the HDMI cord as it is the easiest solution.
I tried not to because it doesn't matter what my 'other OS' is I'm just trying to figure out how to use the GPU as default in Windows.
I know it works because if I start the game with the display connected to the graphics card then unplug the HDMI and plug it in to the motherboard I still keep my high fps in the game, even though I'm connected to the iGPU.

Well, some details.

Switching between OSX and Windows, correct?

Why not just another cable from the iGPU to the monitor, for use with your OSX.
Or an HDMI switcher, to change between the iGPU and the GTX.
Yes switching between OSes. Surely I can do this by changing a setting right? The same way a laptop would work with its multiple GPUs and single display? I don't want to have to buy additional things if I can just change the setup.

USAFRet

Titan
I tried not to because it doesn't matter what my 'other OS' is I'm just trying to figure out how to use the GPU as default in Windows.
I know it works because if I start the game with the display connected to the graphics card then unplug the HDMI and plug it in to the motherboard I still keep my high fps in the game, even though I'm connected to the iGPU.

No matter what FPS you were seeing, it doesn't work like that.
Performance does not flow from the GTX through the iGPU out to your old OSX.

And 'hackintosh'? If you've already got it up and running, we don't care.
We won't help you get there, though.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

aristomuy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
No matter what FPS you were seeing, it doesn't work like that.
Performance does not flow from the GTX through the iGPU
If I can get equal performance on my integrated graphics to the graphics card I think its time to sell the graphics card. Mafia 3 is an unplayable kind of slow on the internal graphics yet if I start the game then move the cable it works perfectly, there is not a single doubt in my mind that it's not using the graphics card. I just want it to do this without switching the cable.

?????????????
Costs money, would rather change a setting.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
There is no way to do what you want with software.
This is a hardware/cabling issue.
You need a cable from the Nvidia GPU to the monitor for use in Windows and from the MB to the monitor for use in Hackintosh. So unless you want to keep switching the cable manually you need an HDMI switch.

Last edited:

aristomuy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Anyhow I just figured out how to do this myself so to anyone looking this up in the future, yes you can use your GPU through your iGPU for games.
To do this go to Settings > System > Display > Graphics settings then choose which apps you want to use the graphics card.

I am wondering if this will have any or much of a performance hit and how this feature even works?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There is no way to do what you want with software.
This is a hardware/cabling issue.
It is possible, at least in Windows. Before Nvidia allowed their cards to enable Gsync on freesync monitors, people got it working by using an Nvidia card with an AMD APU. You could trick the system into rendering with the Nvidia card but being output via the iGPU, allowing Freesync to work. Should be the same principle with an Intel iGPU (minus the freesync part).

Edit: Technically I think the Nvidia/freesync hack I was referring to just requires any AMD GPU that supports Freesync (not necessarily an iGPU).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rxFxdvO3fQ

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS