Jul 12, 2020
My current Ram is Geil Super Luce 8gb ddr4 2400mhz(default 2133mhz,had to enable XMP).Now I have ordered Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb ddr4 2400mhz.So After installing the new Ram,How can I control the two different brand's XMP profile at the same time?Also do I have to disable Xmp before insalling the new Ram?

Solution
but the bus speed,gen and voltage are same.Why shouldn't they work?
There are about 10 different timings that RAM has -- https://www.systemverilog.io/understanding-ddr4-timing-parameters
They could be different between the two sets.
I don't know if they will or won't work. It is a possibility and you need to be prepared for that. That may be running them separately and documenting ALL the memory parameters. Manually configuring timings, and voltages. Extended testing with MEMTEST86 to verify stability.
What I said is it is a gamble. If you want guaranteed performance, then you buy two matched DIMMs with the total capacity you want. You sell your old RAM and completely replace it with the new RAM.

kanewolf

Titan
My current Ram is Geil Super Luce 8gb ddr4 2400mhz(default 2133mhz,had to enable XMP).Now I have ordered Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb ddr4 2400mhz.So After installing the new Ram,How can I control the two different brand's XMP profile at the same time?Also do I have to disable Xmp before insalling the new Ram?
You can't. ALL DIMMs are set the same.
Mix and match RAM is a gamble. Your sets of RAM may work together or they may not. It is not a predictable situation.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would suggest turning off XMP before installing. Boot, see what happens/if it works. Would then try XMP, cause, why not. Wouldn't expect it to work.
Then might consider trying manual timings if your board will allow.

Never know. Might work, might be unstable, might not even boot.

Reactions: shs123

kanewolf

Titan
but the bus speed,gen and voltage are same.Why shouldn't they work?
There are about 10 different timings that RAM has -- https://www.systemverilog.io/understanding-ddr4-timing-parameters
They could be different between the two sets.
I don't know if they will or won't work. It is a possibility and you need to be prepared for that. That may be running them separately and documenting ALL the memory parameters. Manually configuring timings, and voltages. Extended testing with MEMTEST86 to verify stability.
What I said is it is a gamble. If you want guaranteed performance, then you buy two matched DIMMs with the total capacity you want. You sell your old RAM and completely replace it with the new RAM.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution

TRENDING THREADS