Status
Not open for further replies.

dal

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I found a file in windows/system32 called clip.exe but it isn't opening anything. It looks like it's trying to open something, a window opens and then closes again, but it happens so fast I can't tell if its even the clipboard viewer trying to open or something else. Can anyone help me to open my clipboard viewer, if its even available in Windows Vista?

dal

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
After some more searching I have found an answer. In case anyone else is wondering the same thing I'm posting what I found. I don't know if this is the only answer or if it's the best answer, but it worked for me.

From what I understand, you can't view the clipboard in Windows Vista. If you can find someone who has Windows XP and get them to send a copy of clipbrd.exe from their c/windows/system32 folder, you can copy that file into the same folder in Vista and it works, easiest to create a shortcut to that from wherever you find easiest to open it from (eg: desktop, quicklaunch or start menu)

jaffacake43

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

how about if your like me and dont know anyone with xp, we still have a problem finding the elusive clipboard :heink:

adopted

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hi!
Clip.exe simply opens and closes because it needs to be run within a command prompt/window.
The sad news is, it's not actually a "Clipboard Viewer," like we used to have in previous versions of Windows. It's just used to redirect things into the clipboard via a command.
I have a vague memory of sometime in my past, some OS I've used (X Windows? NeXT?) that had a queue of items in the clipboard instead of just one item. This was quite useful. I've often went to paste something important, only to discover that I unwittingly erased it by copying something else into the clipboard. :(
Kind regards,
Jonas

G

I really hate word for vista, it's much more complicated but I just figured it out.
Open Word
Open the Home Tab
And in the top left corner right under the paste button there is a little sliver with the word, clipboard.

Word or Wordpad? Word does NOT come with Vista... it is a separate product and it also bundled with MS Office. Some OEMs will have a 60-day trial version installed and others will have it as an option to purchase when purchasing the computer.

Friskymi

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

Thank you for this tip.... it was on the left top for me, anyway I found it and I truly apppreciate your post. Kathy

linkwoman

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

this only shows the thing I just accidentlly put in there. I wanted the thing that was there before I made the copy mistake. I guess a cumulative list doesn't exist.

yammer77

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Search CyberMatrix Clipboard Magic 4 (freeware). I am just now trying it and no conclusions yet, it is text only, however, it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.