How do I wipe a hard drive without booting?

jaydenjd98

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
I recently started getting the error message "the server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password" and I was looking up solutions, we'll I did a sys prep and I can't even boot up windows anymore. I have the option to change my timezone and stuff but it just resets if I try after about 5 minutes of loading. I just want to know how to wipe my hard drive clean without logging on to windows. I have Windows 10.

Solution
As the previous poster implied - using DBAN will require another computer in order to download the DBAN ISO, burn it to a DVD or a USB flash drive. Booting DBAN, and run one of the choices offered, I think I ran the AutoNuke option last time I used it.
You should be able to format the drive without going into Windows by going into your recovery options or safe mode, depending on your specific computer as it can differ by make & model. Once you've gotten there, you should be able to navigate the options to open Command Prompt. If you follow our Knowledge Base article link, skip past the Windows instructions to the part where you're in the command prompt and it will tell you how to use Diskpart to wipe the drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming this is not an SSD, boot from and wipe with DBAN.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
As the previous poster implied - using DBAN will require another computer in order to download the DBAN ISO, burn it to a DVD or a USB flash drive. Booting DBAN, and run one of the choices offered, I think I ran the AutoNuke option last time I used it.

Solution