How do I .......................................

How do I boot into safe mode without losing preferences?

What preferences? The only "preference" that should be affected by Safe
Mode is the one regulating size of icons in the Start menu. It always
changes to "Large Icons" when you boot to Safe Mode. Is that the one
you're talking about?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I boot into safe mode without losing preferences?

There are other preferences such as the size and position of various windows
on the desktop. Is there some way of booting into safemode without losing
preferences?

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> What preferences? The only "preference" that should be affected by Safe
> Mode is the one regulating size of icons in the Start menu. It always
> changes to "Large Icons" when you boot to Safe Mode. Is that the one
> you're talking about?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I boot into safe mode without losing preferences?

The short answer is No. The workaround is to use one or another app that
"remembers" those things for you.

The size and position of windows aren't "preferences", they're simply
Registry "threads" that remembers last size and location. Safe Mode
often cannot accommodate those remembered threads and overwrites them
with new info based upon size and position in Safe Mode, which, due to
it's default display driver, changes the amount of real estate that's
available.

You have two questions going on here which seem to be related. You're
also asking general questions which might better be answered by
exploring, in detail, exactly what you are experiencing and what you
would like to accomplish. Also, are you regularly using Safe Mode for
some chore or another, such that this issue is an ongoing and regular
issue for you?

--

> There are other preferences such as the size and position of various
> windows
> on the desktop. Is there some way of booting into safemode without
> losing
> preferences?

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> What preferences? The only "preference" that should be affected by
>> Safe
>> Mode is the one regulating size of icons in the Start menu. It always
>> changes to "Large Icons" when you boot to Safe Mode. Is that the one
>> you're talking about?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I boot into safe mode without losing preferences?

Do you know a utility that would lock window positions and locations on the
desktop even if a safemode boot occured?
"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> The short answer is No. The workaround is to use one or another app that
> "remembers" those things for you.
>
> The size and position of windows aren't "preferences", they're simply
> Registry "threads" that remembers last size and location. Safe Mode
> often cannot accommodate those remembered threads and overwrites them
> with new info based upon size and position in Safe Mode, which, due to
> it's default display driver, changes the amount of real estate that's
> available.
>
> You have two questions going on here which seem to be related. You're
> also asking general questions which might better be answered by
> exploring, in detail, exactly what you are experiencing and what you
> would like to accomplish. Also, are you regularly using Safe Mode for
> some chore or another, such that this issue is an ongoing and regular
> issue for you?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There are other preferences such as the size and position of various
> > windows
> > on the desktop. Is there some way of booting into safemode without
> > losing
> > preferences?

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> >> What preferences? The only "preference" that should be affected by
> >> Safe
> >> Mode is the one regulating size of icons in the Start menu. It always
> >> changes to "Large Icons" when you boot to Safe Mode. Is that the one
> >> you're talking about?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS MVP Shell/User
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> >>
> >> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It's not on the tip of my tongue, but a few different utilities for this
purpose are regularly mentioned in this newsgroup. Perhaps someone else
will drop in and share.

--

> Do you know a utility that would lock window positions and locations
> on the
> desktop even if a safemode boot occured?
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> The short answer is No. The workaround is to use one or another app
>> that
>> "remembers" those things for you.
>>
>> The size and position of windows aren't "preferences", they're simply
>> Registry "threads" that remembers last size and location. Safe Mode
>> often cannot accommodate those remembered threads and overwrites them
>> with new info based upon size and position in Safe Mode, which, due
>> it's default display driver, changes the amount of real estate that's
>> available.
>>
>> You have two questions going on here which seem to be related. You're
>> also asking general questions which might better be answered by
>> exploring, in detail, exactly what you are experiencing and what you
>> would like to accomplish. Also, are you regularly using Safe Mode for
>> some chore or another, such that this issue is an ongoing and regular
>> issue for you?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > There are other preferences such as the size and position of
>> > various
>> > windows
>> > on the desktop. Is there some way of booting into safemode without
>> > losing
>> > preferences?
>> >
>> > ________________________________________________________________

If this is related to the other question you posted five minutes earlier,
see my response to it.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I boot into safe mode without losing preferences?

Iceman

In this group b11_ wrote in message
> Do you know a utility that would lock window positions and locations
> on the desktop even if a safemode boot occured?

WinTidy2
http://www.alexfish.com/dload/wintidy.zip

(Must be run in Safe Mode)

Wintidy2 is for Icons. I'd like to save window position and sizes on the
desktop even if a safeboot occured.