[SOLVED] How do people play in 400p or lower? Do they play in windowed mode and do you need a monitor for such low resolutions?

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Hi, sorry for asking all questions at the same time. I have a very low end system which barely can handle any game above 2015. Its a 920m card with an i5 5250u.
I have been testing the game settings alot these past few months while playing rocket league, and i was never able to hold onto one settings, because either my inputs lagged while playing or i just couldn't tolerate how thin the border lines are of each object.

Only recently i started playing in lower resolutions like 600p and lower, and what i noticed is that when playing in full screen, the game is scaled up thus making everything look blurry(even though the aspect ratio seems to be maintained). I just cannot get used to the full screen version of the lower resolutions. Its just too pixelated for me. I wanted to record and show it online but everytime i do that, parts of the video feel like its compressed for some weird reason, and it never captures the problems on the screen.

Sorry for dragging this out, my main question is that do people use specific 400p type monitors to play in lower resolutions? And is there anything i can do from my side if i don't buy a monitor? Does hdmi support resolutions for the 400 p range? Sorry for asking too many questions. My hdmi only seems to support 1080p and 768p. Anything lower is stuck at 768p

Maybe i have been playing wrong on lower resolutions this entire time. Please clear my doubts out if possible. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I doubt many people are still playing at 480p given a choice...it's likely just legacy support in the game for diagnosing issues at this point.

Playing on an old system it's typically best to try running in Windowed mode at 720p while running a black desktop background to help mask the edges.

If you disable 16:9 widescreen even more resolutions should become available to test with if even 720p wont work.
I doubt many people are still playing at 480p given a choice...it's likely just legacy support in the game for diagnosing issues at this point.

Playing on an old system it's typically best to try running in Windowed mode at 720p while running a black desktop background to help mask the edges.

If you disable 16:9 widescreen even more resolutions should become available to test with if even 720p wont work.

Reactions: ryancorda040
Solution
420 resolution is only usable on CRT, it looks good there because the screen was build for that resolution so each pixel is one pixel of the display, on an HD display (720) each pixel is like 4 or more pixels of the display making everything look blocky, on a 1080 display it's like 8 pixels for each pixel.

Reactions: ryancorda040

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
I wish i could play lol in 720p, but my inputs start lagging out when the frames start dipping.Even i dont want to play in 400p haha. I only play in that resolutions because my input lag is very less as compared to the other resolutions. If i had a choice, i would have definitely chosen the highest resolution since i can see everyhing clearly at that resolution. But the input lag could be just too high lol.

Yeah, i can switch to settings lower than 720p. I wouldnt mind keeping my resolution above 1024p but again input lag. So i eventually neduced it even more.

Only on CRT? Damn, Okay cool cool. Thanks! That means i don't have too many options apart from getting a CRT.

Thanks to you'll both for clearing my doubts. Have a great day!