How do set up a raid between harddrives

jeffgoatley

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
OK I can make the raid work, that's not my questions. The questions are:

1 - I was planing on installing the OS (Windows 7) on a SSD and my files on two 500gig HD's in Raid 0. Is this right? Should i use a different Raid or is this fine?

2 - Should my programs (Office, Photoshop & Video Games) be install on the SSD with the OS or on the HD's in Raid with my files, music & pix?

3 - Any pointers would be great? Thanks for the Help!

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Personally I would put OS in SSD and the rest in regular HDDs. And I would not use RAID 0. Failure risk goes higher. HDDs are so cheap nowadays that it's better get a 1TB.

If you decided to go with RAID and store music/and pics, backup often.

another option over RAID 0, where the loss of any drive results in loss of all data, is RAID 5 (striping, but with parity data written across all drives), which can tolerate the loss of a single drive, requires at least 3 drives, and 4 is better/faster yet. WIth the plethora of fast 300-500 SATA drives out there, you could assemble a 4 disk RAID 5 for about $120-$150?

jeffgoatley

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Not worried about what raid to set up with but just how the files & the OS should be set up on which drive (SSD or HD"S)? Or everything on all drives like the OS, Programs & files in raid or do i use two SSD's for the OS & one HD for the programs & files? Do the programs or apps go on the same drive as the OS or with the files

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Any file/program that you want the benefit of the SSD speed need to go on the SSD. Everything else such as just files (pics/music/movies/whatever) should go on the HD.
I think you know that much.

Raid 0 is a performance raid. I don't see a need for you to use raid 0 for data (pics/music/movies). If anything use Raid 1 (mirror drives) for peace of mind.

Like electrontau said, Raid 0 has a higher risk to fail and I know how I would feel if I lost all my pics/music/movies.