How do sound cards affect performance?

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
How much do sound cards like the Audigy series affect performance in games? If I am correct, the sound cards have their own processors and they dont require the cpu to work for the sound (is that right?). In that case, how much of a performance difference would an Audigy or an Audigy 2 make in fps in games?
Thanks

Doug

p4 2.6C @ 2999 mhz
2x512mb pc3200 kingmax
ATI x800 pro
western dig. 160 gb 7200 8mb
asus p4s800

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<<How do sound cards affect performance?>>

with today's cpus no-how.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, there are no TRUE HARDWARE sound cards any more, their all hardware assisted. The Audigy can cause a HUGE performance hit compared to "no soundcard", from articles I've read up to 18%. I think the most "powerfull" solution is an "onboard" one, in the form of the nForce APU found on some Socket A boards, but even that solution carries SIGNIFICANT overhead.

People say it doesn't matter with today's CPU's. Well, if you like your P4 3.0GHz performing like a 2.2GHz, I guess it doesn't matter!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, you see, when I drive 35 mph and my speed will drop to 25, I WILL notice the difference, BUT when I drive 235 mph and there will be drop to 225, I don't really think I will NOTICE the difference. I that more clearer explanation?

PS: by the way, where is that 18% drop came from? are you on the pipe again?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually that's a worst case scenario, I got it from a recent review of a VIA Envy with a Creative Audigy 2 comparison. Depending on the sound application, CPU usage was between 4 and 18% as I recall.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
I thought those cards had onboard processors or something. I dont know. Whats the big difference from the Audigy cards and the sound blaster lives, and the Audigy 1 / 2 , LS, ZS, etc? (main differences, I don't need a thorough explaination)

p4 2.6C @ 2999 mhz
2x512mb pc3200 kingmax
ATI x800 pro
western dig. 160 gb 7200 8mb
asus p4s800

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Main difference is the sound quality comming out of your speakers/headphones.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, they have fairly weak onboard processors (as opposed to those used in, say, a cheap video card). Those processors don't handle all tasks, they handle specific tasks, and leave the rest to software. And when they handle a specific task, they often process parts of those with the CPU too. Break up the workload, spread it out.