Feb 23, 2021
Based on my observations (research), I have found a way to actually build your own laptop by using a half assembled laptop (They're called barebones) with a laptop shell, psu, motherboard, camera, keyboard, cooling system, etc. And users can decide which component (CPU, memory, storage devices, etc.) to buy and install, according to their own needs and budget . Is this ideal? is there a step by step or a thorough guide to all of this?

USAFRet

Titan
Based on my observations (research), I have found a way to actually build your own laptop by using a half assembled laptop (They're called barebones) with a laptop shell, psu, motherboard, camera, keyboard, cooling system, etc. And users can decide which component (CPU, memory, storage devices, etc.) to buy and install, according to their own needs and budget . Is this ideal? is there a step by step or a thorough guide to all of this?
From wherever you're buying the barebones, you either go through them and select compatible parts, or discover exactly what is compatible and buy those.

Where are you getting this barebones from?

Feb 23, 2021
I have not chosen a barebone laptop, haven't even chosen the other components (mobile gpu, mobile cpu, ssd, ram, etc), because I do not know where to find them, nor do I know what components would be compatible with a barebone laptop

USAFRet

Titan
I have not chosen a barebone laptop, haven't even chosen the other components (mobile gpu, mobile cpu, ssd, ram, etc), because I do not know where to find them, nor do I know what components would be compatible with a barebone laptop
Well, you can't choose them in isolation.

An Intel CPU requires a compatible Intel motherboard.
PCIe 4.0 SSD requires a compatible motherboard.
And so on...

Every post I have seen with someone that wanted to build a laptop with their own parts and select them all has never had a conclusion. We would say "it's not a good idea and very hard to do", they would reply "you don't know what you are talking about, I'll show you" and then never go back to update the post with the laptop they managed to build.

Just buy one already built.

Reactions: logainofhades