How do you check for Windows 7 registry problems?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I just put together a new build.

But now the first major update (Nero 9) came up. I installed it right over the previous vesion. There were no instructions on the download page or with the download to do otherwise. But after sending an email to Nero's tech support they tell me that the recommened way is to uninstall the previous version first. So I also check on the mynero.com forum and find that others have had problems by not uninstalling the previous version and using Nero's CleanTool first before installing the update. Some talk about registry problems after either method. It sounds like Nero updates are a real bear in general.

My question is how can I check if my install of Windows 7 64bit has any issues, like registry errors or whatever?

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Follow the given instructions:
Step 1. Launch Spybot S&D on your Windows 7, and now it is default mode. Spybot also has another advanced mode for user. Click "Mode -> Advanced mode" to turn it to advanced mode
Step 2. After that you select "Tools" button at the left column and then press "System Internals" option, now you click "check" in order to search for whether there is any registry problems on Windows 7, and then repair them in time.
That is all about how to repair Win7 registry problem with Spybot Search & Destroy, it is very simple for you. As a helpful Internet security facility, Spybot Search and Destroy will help you remove any threats from web such as: spyware, malware on your computer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
CCleaner is another product (free) that will de-gunk (remove left over reg entries) your Registry. I have used to great success after many uninstalls left a few entries behind. Can also clean up all the little nasties (like cookies) that web browsers leave behind. Good luck!!!

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

When I run the command it says...
"You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility"

But looking on the Microsoft site I found this:

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:
Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

more found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Run the sfc and download an install CC cleaner and run the registry repair from CC Cleaner as Jack suggested.