How do you clone an PCIe NVMe m.2 SSD in a laptop?

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Usually I just clone the drive using a SATA m.2 2280 interface to usb 3.0 cable device it's quick and simple and you can find them on amazon.com for about $20-$30.

I've been trying to find one for a PCIe NVMe m.2 SSD to clone the original boot drive to a larger boot drive and I can't find anything on amazon which supports NVMe except for desktop interface cards. They even say in the description this is for SATA type M.2 Form Factor SSDs and don't support PCIe NVMe.

I'm confused as to how you clone the boot NVMe drive. First time for me.

Solution

Acronis or Macrium Reflect

1. Install the software
2. Create a Macrium Rescue CD or USB
3. Connect your external drive
4. Create an Image of the full drive, all partitions, to an Image on the external drive
5. Swap drives
6. Boot up with the Rescue CD or USB
7. Tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

You mean a bit like using a disk image for creating a boot CD? Then just copy the .iso image or rather expand it to the newly installed and formatted NVMe drive I'm upgrading to in the laptop? I'm not sure what the 960 Samsung NVMe SSD comes with for software if any I know crucial drives ship with acronis.

USAFRet

Titan

Acronis or Macrium Reflect

1. Install the software
2. Create a Macrium Rescue CD or USB
3. Connect your external drive
4. Create an Image of the full drive, all partitions, to an Image on the external drive
5. Swap drives
6. Boot up with the Rescue CD or USB
7. Tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to

Reactions: Ho3n3r
Solution

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

OK... I think I understand. I will try to get the original drive copied to an USB 1 TB drive I have laying around and change the bios to let me boot from the USB device. From there I'll just place a new image on the new ssd in the laptop and then reconfig the bios to boot again from the internal ssd. I think I just summed up what you were saying just have to see what type of software they provide with samsung NVMe's. Keeping my fingers crossed.

TRENDING THREADS