How do you communicate in multplayer mode?

Hi,
I have played Civilization 3 in multiplayer mode but cannot
understand how you communicate with other players when you are
not using the diplomacy screen. Last time I played I was contacted
and a civ-player asked whether I wanted to be an ally but since
I did not how to answer nothing resulted.

//Jan Rosén

"Jan Ros?n" <jan_rosen@swipnet.se> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have played Civilization 3 in multiplayer mode but cannot
> understand how you communicate with other players when you are
> not using the diplomacy screen. Last time I played I was contacted
> and a civ-player asked whether I wanted to be an ally but since
> I did not how to answer nothing resulted.
>
> //Jan Rosén

I think the tab key initiates a chat window.