How do you connec two wireless routers to one modem?

Disabled Geek

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Hi. I want to connect two different wireless routers, having two diffferent SSIDs and Pass Keys to the single Ethernet output of the cable modem. I want to create two different wireless networks: One for myself and one for all others. Can that be done?

Solution
Maybe....and likely if you pay for it.

What you are asking for requires 2 real internet IP addresses which few ISP give for free. If you can plug 2 PC into the cable modem and they both work then you can use 2 routers.

You could put a router between the 2 other routers and let the main router own the real IP and give out private ones to your 2 wireless routers.

If you can live with sharing a single real IP I would use a single router that has the ablity to run multiple SSID and networks on the same router. There are a couple that let you have a guest network which is just a second ssid really. Otherwise get a router that can run dd-wrt and you can have as many ssid and networks as you like. The main downside to using a single...

Disabled Geek

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Maybe....and likely if you pay for it.

What you are asking for requires 2 real internet IP addresses which few ISP give for free. If you can plug 2 PC into the cable modem and they both work then you can use 2 routers.

You could put a router between the 2 other routers and let the main router own the real IP and give out private ones to your 2 wireless routers.

If you can live with sharing a single real IP I would use a single router that has the ablity to run multiple SSID and networks on the same router. There are a couple that let you have a guest network which is just a second ssid really. Otherwise get a router that can run dd-wrt and you can have as many ssid and networks as you like. The main downside to using a single router is all the SSID must share the same radio channel.

Solution