How do you control speed of a stand-alone GPU fan?

stepit

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Hi, I want to put 120mm case fans on top of my graphic card's heatsink, but I don't want them to spin at full speed 24/7. Is there a way to program them so that the speed would auto-adjust depending on the GPU temperature? Or if that is not possible, how do I at least reduce RPM? Do I have to use PWM fans and/or PWM mobo headers or regular fans and 3-pin headers can be used for my purposes as well?

If your GPU came with a fan there is probably a port on it to plug one in(unless its soldered on), if not then I personally would use a fan that comes with a temperature probe and have it as near the heatsink as possible.

but if you can find a program that lets you program specific mobo headers to ramp the fans up when certain components get hot, do that.

Yup, that will work too. also might wanna use zip ties or screws or atleast something to hold the fan on so it doesn't fly off and break stuff.

stepit

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

I tried to control it in Speedfan, but it doesn't seem to work.
speedfan.jpg

It shows 3 PWM fans despite that my mobo has only 2 PWM headers. But anyway I tried to adjust all 3 and neither would change speed of the actual fan.

TRENDING THREADS